'Verified' question

Post bug reports and suggestions for the website, forums and DOM here.
Psychofox11

'Verified' question

Post by Psychofox11 »

I know that once something has two green trusted dumps, that it is considered verified. However, shouldn't it also require two dumps from two different people (aside from special cases where someone might have 2 rare copies and provide evidence)? Just in case someone was dumping wrong or otherwise not providing info well. I was prompted to ask as I recently submitted a list of dumps that accidentally included the same one twice - same pics and all. It went from no verified dumps to trusted, until I asked to have the duplicate removed since it was the same cart/board.
Does verified not require two different sources (not just the cart but the person)? If not, should it? That was only fixed cause I caught my own mistake (I usually double-check the DOM after a submission is posted) and brought it to someone's attention.
Hiccup
Datter

Re: 'Verified' question

Post by Hiccup »

It might not be a bad idea to change that rule, not sure though. That's part of the reason why additional redumps are useful, even if the ROM is already marked as verified.
prominos

Re: 'Verified' question

Post by prominos »

While I tend to agree that the same person may have dumped two different copies the wrong way, I also think there are valid situations where this may happen. For example the Japanese and USA version of super metroid contain exactly the same data but the rest of the supporting material (box, manual, cartridge, game id, barcode, etc) is completely different. It may be the same with different edition of the game, for example, "Not for resale", regular edition, collector edition, player's choice. There are ways to uniquely identify different submissions but it vary from system to system, best way would be different editions mentioned in the submission, clearly mentioning that this is not a duplicate but a second cartridge, posting pictures with the sub or adding things like chip IDs and cartridge label toolstamp code (although not everybody open up their game for submission, it's optional).