Mega Man now spelled Megaman in GBA DAT

General No-Intro related discussions.
dasguy

Mega Man now spelled Megaman in GBA DAT

Post by dasguy »

Hello! I've noticed that in the GBA DAT, Mega Man is now spelled Megaman, which isn't how the series is spelled.
For example:
Old name: Mega Man Battle Network 6 - Cybeast Falzar
New name: Megaman - Battle Network 6 - Cybeast Falzar
It only seems to affect GBA games. What's the reason for this and will other platforms follow?
prominos

Re: Mega Man now spelled Megaman in GBA DAT

Post by prominos »

Sorry for bumping a pretty old thread but since it got no answer I thought I'd guess why this happened.

If you look at the way the title is stylized for older Mega Man games you can clearly see the space between "Mega" and "Man"
mmx.JPG
The way they decided to stylize the title for the battle network series doesn't show any space between "Mega" and "Man"
mmbn.JPG
I think the decision was probably made based on what the title "looks like" instead of the more historical spelling of Mega Man.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
lordelan

Post by lordelan »

Not quite sure about this.
If you take a look at the back of the box, all mentions of the name are with a space:
https://gamefaqs.gamespot.com/a/box/5/2 ... 5_back.jpg
But the title art doesn't have a whitespace without any doubt.
Hiccup
Datter

Post by Hiccup »

Generally, names are done consistently between entries, using the official rendering of the name. So the GBA entries should be changed to "Mega Man", following that precedent.
Psychofox11

Post by Psychofox11 »

I see these haven't been updated yet. If no one has any objections, or a faster method than me (I can only edit manually one by one), I'll be glad to go in and update them! I see they started off as Megaman and were changed to Mega Man in 2010, then back to Megaman in 2022 (just using one as an example anyway). Odd.
The T

Post by The T »

This is an old bump and I don't feel particularly strongly about this, but from a Mega Man fan standpoint: the character in the Battle Network games is MegaMan.EXE, and most fans go with MegaMan specifically for the Battle Network series. They are stories set in separate universes, unrelated to each other, and are not the same Mega Man.