Nintendo Update Naming Convention

General No-Intro related discussions.
gamecaptor
Dumper

Nintendo Update Naming Convention

Post by gamecaptor »

I have a request for the naming convention for Nintendo game updates.

Currently the DATs list the internal update version number, but I think it would be helpful if it showed both the external version (i.e. what you see on the title screen) as well as internal version.

An example:
Chocobo GP Lite (World) (En,Ja,Fr,De,Es,It,Zh-Hant,Zh-Hans,Ko) (v1.1.0, v393216) (Update) (eShop)

I believe there is an unofficial DAT that does this for the 3DS already, but nothing for the Switch. Personally I'd like to see this be the standard as I find it helpful for tracking.
Hiccup
Datter

Re: Nintendo Update Naming Convention

Post by Hiccup »

This is probably a good idea, although it'd probably be best to use the version displayed on the home menu, since that's required by Nintendo for all titles (I don't think title screen versions are).
gamecaptor
Dumper

Post by gamecaptor »

You're correct hiccup, the information that is present there (I just was thinking about the title screen when I wrote this).
lordelan

Post by lordelan »

I agree and it literally annoys me since around 2017/2018 that I always had to check title key DBs or use tools to figure out which external version the file is that I'm looking at.
There are some pretty handy tools for that but it's still annoying.
Also if we agree to change it, it shouldn't be too much of a hassle to batch add that external version to the filenames.
xuom2
High Council

Post by xuom2 »

I've added a "version2" field, so we can keep both versions in filenames. let me know if some batch job is needed.
Hiccup
Datter

Post by Hiccup »

xuom2 wrote: 30 May 2023 17:31 I've added a "version2" field, so we can keep both versions in filenames. let me know if some batch job is needed.
Good idea. Although I think it should probably be within a single set of brackets. Probably makes more sense to have a dash (" - "), rather than having a comma (", "). So like Game Name (Region) (v123456 - v1.1)