Discussion on moving/adding undumped stuff to DoM

Post bug reports and suggestions for the website, forums and DOM here.
Hiccup
Datter

Discussion on moving/adding undumped stuff to DoM

Post by Hiccup »

There's now functionality in place for recording undumped games in DoM itself (much like how MIA stuff is now tracked on DoM itself).

I thought i'd create this thread in case anybody has any feedback/ideas on how this should be used. E.g., should it be used just for confirmed-to-exist stuff, should the wiki still be used to some degree or not, limitations of the wiki or DoM, etc.
meowthed

Re: Discussion on moving/adding undumped stuff to DoM

Post by meowthed »

I think it should work for games that are known to have a release of some form, especially in PC digital storefronts. Should be good enough to sync between the wiki and the DoM.
Hiccup
Datter

Post by Hiccup »

Yeah I've mainly been adding confirmed stuff so far.
norkmetnoil577
Datter

Post by norkmetnoil577 »

The main downside I can see is it making it harder for datters to do bulk imports, instead you have to search every set and click add dump, otherwise the default behavior is to add all new sets for everything and there'd be tons of dupes.

For that reason I think it may be a drag for the PC storefronts, and sets like PSN, but would be good for sets that are near complete and just get trickles in, like the old systems GBA, 3DS and such.
Hiccup
Datter

Post by Hiccup »

Yeah I guess it will mainly be for mostly-complete systems for now. Even the wiki doesn't have full lists for PC digital storefronts/PSN. Although a solution to the problem with batch imports could be to put some sort of serial/game id in one field (not sure which) and then new archives being imported can be matched to existing archives using that.
xuom2
High Council

Post by xuom2 »

Hiccup wrote: 22 Mar 2022 16:56 Although a solution to the problem with batch imports could be to put some sort of serial/game id in one field (not sure which) and then new archives being imported can be matched to existing archives using that.
agree
Icyelut
Dumper

Post by Icyelut »

Currently the wiki allows us to add pictures and unconfirmed information in a format that's easy for newcomers to understand.

So, any solution should be just as approachable.
Hiccup
Datter

Post by Hiccup »

Icyelut wrote: 30 Mar 2022 04:23 Currently the wiki allows us to add pictures and unconfirmed information in a format that's easy for newcomers to understand.

So, any solution should be just as approachable.
tbh I'm not sure it is very easy for newcomers to understand. I think there should probably be a special undumped report page (like the MIA report page), with a friendly layout (nice css template, images, simple design etc).

You can attach pictures to the "nodump" sources, but its true there isn't really a way to attach pictures to things that don't have "nodump" sources (i.e. unconfirmed things). Plus both appear the same in the DoM search page. Maybe that's something @xuom2 can change.