Suggestions for new Android DATs

Post bug reports and suggestions for the website, forums and DOM here.
Arctic Circle System
Datter

Suggestions for new Android DATs

Post by Arctic Circle System »

There are several fairly popular app stores on Android that don't seem to have their own DATs. These include the Amazon Appstore (with no space between app and store), the Samsung Galaxy Apps store, SlideME (was around before Google Play itself), and F-Droid. I propose that we add DATs for these app stores. ~Nai

Edit: Mobango is also a thing ~Nai
Hiccup
Datter

Re: Suggestions for new Android DATs

Post by Hiccup »

Probably a good idea, but no need for F-Droid as that is open source and only has open source apps. Open source stuff (esp. projects like F-Droid) is designed to be mirrored and be "accountable" (e.g. have public hashes/signatures) easily, so making a datfile would be duplicating F-Droid's own preservation efforts.
xuom2
High Council

Post by xuom2 »

Do we already have some dumps for all those stores?
Arctic Circle System
Datter

xuom2 wrote: 20 Jan 2022 14:42 Do we already have some dumps for all those stores?
We have a few dumps of various apps from the Amazon Appstore, yes. As for the others, We do not, but it should be quite easy for me to get some. ~Nai
Arctic Circle System
Datter

Should we post some hashes of apps from the various app stores? I also have to ask where we should put the hashes for the APKs of the app stores themselves. Google Play requires several APKs, and the Amazon Appstore has differences in its APKs depending on whether the one installed was from their website or preinstalled as a system app. SlideME does this really weird thing where every app on its app store also has its own variant of the SlideME store to go with it that only exists to link to that app's listing in the SlideME store app when you first install it. I don't know why they do it like this. They could've used links like everyone else but instead they did this. It is a nightmare. In fact, where do system apps go? What about LDU (Live Demo Unit, basically kiosk stuff) apps? ~Nai
Hiccup
Datter

Post by Hiccup »

This might be a better discussion for the VGPC discord actually, since there are so many questions...
Arctic Circle System
Datter

Hiccup wrote: 24 Jan 2022 17:11 This might be a better discussion for the VGPC discord actually, since there are so many questions...
Got it! ~Nai