adding undumped data directly on DOM

General No-Intro related discussions.
xuom2
High Council

adding undumped data directly on DOM

Post by xuom2 »

We did this in the past with e-Reader.
Hiccup was thinking to do this with all systems (if I understand correctly): add undumped games as new archives on DOM, with flag "nodump".
This will have an impact on collectors, letting them know that certain titles have to be hunted down.
What do you think?
Hiccup
Datter

Re: adding undumped data directly on DOM

Post by Hiccup »

It might also be a good idea to mark ROMs if they are unverified. That way anybody who uses the days or ROMs will be able to see verification status. I think there is some misinformation out there that No-Intro sets are "complete" and "fully verified" - these two ideas could potentially help clear that up.
Just001Kim
Dumper

Post by Just001Kim »

In my opinion i think collectors would exclude the function flag 'nodump' because they hunt down to get a 'full sets' and try to maintain this.
Maybe a sort of fixdat with undumped games? Then they can add that one to the rommanager as seperate dat or system and keep an eye on it and hopefully submit the game?

For unverified roms maybe a idea to change it in the naming so when a collector has a big amount of games, let's say 1000+ they can easy search on title or see it visual and maybe motivates them to verify a game because they want to have the correct file and not a bad dump or chance on a wrong dump. Now it's only avaible when searching in dat-o-matic and most collectors just download the daily pack and put them in the rommanager of choise without searching. When they don't find a rom sometimes they go deeper to see if there is any info avaible about who dumped it or where they got it from.
This is just my opinion, not sure how others think about this.

I putted the question in some collector groups to see what they think about it.
MeguCocoa

Post by MeguCocoa »

I agree with it : D

if it is implemented, it will be very convenient for dumper.
In fact, I use dat to check for unconfirmed revisions.
Just001Kim
Dumper

Post by Just001Kim »

I listened around and most feedback I got was that they would exclude it if they grab the individual dat.
If it's in the daily dat (that most collectors use) some would add it in there rommanager and some would help out to search it while others would just leave them out of there rommanager. It's a 50/50 opinion on keeping or throwing it away.

Some ppl didn't even know that we had a wiki with undumped lists so I pointed out to them were to find it.

Conclusion, checking if it's possible to make the undumped wiki more visible.
If datting undumped and unverified making sure they are included as a separate dat in the daily dats.

Hope that the feedback helps...
Hiccup
Datter

Post by Hiccup »

That is a good point. The main page, datomatic and the wiki aren't linked together that well. I can imagine its confusing for new visitors.