Question/idea about the PS4 PSN datfile

General No-Intro related discussions.
Landcross
Dumper

Question/idea about the PS4 PSN datfile

Post by Landcross »

PS4 PSN content delivery splits pkg files larger than 4GB up into 4GB pieces. The reason for this is solely because the PS4 filesystem can't handle files larger than 4GB. Both before and after download, it was just a single pkg file. The separate pieces are not stand-alone files. The pkg only works if all pieces are put together. The current No-Intro PS4 datfile has all the pieces listed separately (under 1 game of course).

You can probably feel where I'm going with this... In my opinion, the datfile should contain the merged pkg files instead of the separate pieces. It makes more sense due to reasons I explained above and makes the datfile more manageble and usable.

Any other opinions on this matter? Should the datfile change? Or should there maybe be a 2nd datfile for merged files?
scorp256

Re: Question/idea about the PS4 PSN datfile

Post by scorp256 »

On bluray files are not split. And if I understand correct there is big chance that PKG on disc will match by CRC merged PSN PKG.
So it seems correct to use only merged pkg, as they are just a split version of full PKG.
Hiccup
Datter

Post by Hiccup »

This seems like a totally transparent process, so converting all the data should be okay. But as not all the data may be obtainable, and the fact that people may still want the split files, I think I new "unsplit/merged/full" (whatever you want to call it) format should be added to the PS4 dat.

edit: although if possible it should be noted in the source comment if it was split on the server... just in case that info is somehow useful in the future.
xuom2
High Council

Post by xuom2 »

no problem, you can add a new "format" in DOM directly when you submit files.