Move PSN PSP PSone Classics to separate datfile

General No-Intro related discussions.
Landcross
Dumper

Move PSN PSP PSone Classics to separate datfile

Post by Landcross »

I want to propose to move the PSone Classics in the PSN PSP datfile to a separate datfile. The files are not PSP-specific; they are playable on PSP, PS3, PSVita and PSTV. I think having them separate is both more logical and clears the PSP datfile (there are many of them, over 1000).

Any thoughts on this?
Hiccup
Datter

Re: Move PSN PSP PSone Classics to separate datfile

Post by Hiccup »

So all these exact pkg files (byte-for-byte) are definitely shared between consoles? If that's the case, then I think a new dat would be fine. As long as a note was added to each source's "Comment+" field that it was from the PSP dat - its a good idea not to lose information, even if it doesn't seem like it will necessarily be useful.
Landcross
Dumper

Post by Landcross »

Hiccup wrote: 22 Nov 2019 18:29 So all these exact pkg files (byte-for-byte) are definitely shared between consoles? If that's the case, then I think a new dat would be fine. As long as a note was added to each source's "Comment+" field that it was from the PSP dat - its a good idea not to lose information, even if it doesn't seem like it will necessarily be useful.
Yes, they are cross-compatible. They were originally made for PSP + PS3 and contain data to run on both devices. Later on the Vita (an PS TV) was also made backwards-compatible with those same pkg files, but internally they are still 'aimed' at PS3 + PSP. You can see how the included images display both PS3 and PSP: https://serialstation.com/serials/?seri ... UI&dt=list
Landcross
Dumper

Post by Landcross »

Huh, for some mysterious reason there is at least 1 US game only compatible with PS3: https://store.playstation.com/en-us/pro ... 0000000001

I'll investigate that one. Nevertheless, it's been the only one I've seen so far not compatible with PSP.

EDIT: There are a few https://store.playstation.com/en-us/gri ... ps3%20only

Nevertheless, my point still stands and I think the PS1 games should be moved to their own datfile because they are (well, most of them) not just for PSP.

EDIT2: Most of the 'PS3 only' classics linked above are not even PS1 anyway, but PC Engine haha.
KingMike

Post by KingMike »

By only compatible, is it actual compatibility (doesn't play) or was that the game was only licensed for use on PS3? (probably getting the publisher a lower cost to license) I know there were a handful of Japanese Import games released on US PSN that were only available to buy on PS3, not PSP.
Landcross
Dumper

Post by Landcross »

KingMike wrote: 23 Nov 2019 06:25 By only compatible, is it actual compatibility (doesn't play) or was that the game was only licensed for use on PS3? (probably getting the publisher a lower cost to license) I know there were a handful of Japanese Import games released on US PSN that were only available to buy on PS3, not PSP.
Good question. I looked at one of those 'PS3 only' PS1 games and the contents looked exactly the same as on the PSP/PS3 PS1 games (aside from it being a different game of course). PPSSPP does not support PS1 games though and I don't have any real PSP around here to test it out, but if I had to bet I'd bet on it being compatible with PSP even though the store says it's not.
scorp256

Post by scorp256 »

I believe I can help you to clear the doubts.

Nowadays you cannot install PKG on PSP, because they were downloading from PS Store and now there is no way to do it, as PS Store is closed. Maybe there is a different approach, but The_Flow did not shared his insights on that, and I never really looked into reverse-engineering that PS Store XMB plugin to see how it was installing the PKGs, if there any "official" way to do it now (like put it into some "cache" directory and plugin on start will see it there, or similar). So I believe they marked it as "PS3 Only" because it was released after Sony closed PS Store on PSP, so users just did not have any possibility to download it and install. Wrong, read below.

Basically files in PKGs are crypted EBOOT.PBP files, which are actually crypted ISO files. So you can easily extract ISO PS1 data from PS1-PS3 PKG on PC or on PSP or on Vita.

I will try to check that PS3-only file Landcross mentioned, as also curious what is inside...
Last edited by scorp256 on 26 Nov 2019 16:45, edited 1 time in total.
scorp256

Post by scorp256 »

So, here is my findings regarding Pocket Fighters. After unpacking PKG and EBOOT.PBP it is obvious, that this game was not supposed to be ever installed on actual PSP/Vita, as there is absolutely no icons, images or sound in launcher (notice in extractor log file below), so it will just show a placeholder image in launcher. Indeed, when I try to run it on PSP it just reboots and if try on Vita it shows error (I forgot the number). So, I suppose Sony was aware that their PSP emulator does not work properly for this game on PSP and thus they stated it as PS3 Only. This could be also related to errors in sector mode you can see in log below.

For sake of completeness I converted the game to bin/cue and tried in PC emulator (was one of libretro core, I do not remember which one). All run perfectly. I will probably also check Alone in the Dark, which looks like a PS1 game, to see if it is valid or same as Pocket Fighters.

//upd Checked Alone in the Dark, same story, does not work on PSP/Vita, but work if convert to ISO and run in PC emulator.

Code: Select all

Unpacking PBP EBOOT.PBP...
[0]        944 bytes | PARAM.SFO
[1]          0 bytes | ICON0.PNG
[2]          0 bytes | ICON1.PMF
[3]          0 bytes | PIC0.PNG
[4]          0 bytes | PIC1.PNG
[5]          0 bytes | SND0.AT3
[6]      31784 bytes | DATA.PSP
[7]  162379445 bytes | DATA.PSAR
Successfully unpacked EBOOT.PBP!

Single disc ISO detected!

Found STARTDAT offset: 0x09ad7590
Saving STARTDAT as STARTDAT.BIN...

Decrypting ISO header...
ISO header successfully decrypted! Saving as ISO_HEADER.BIN...

ISO disc: _SLUS_00653
ISO title: Pocket Fighter

Found special data offset: 0x09ada585
Decrypting special data...
Special data successfully decrypted! Saving as SPECIAL_DATA.BIN...

Building the final ISO image...
ISO image successfully reconstructed! Saving as ISO.BIN...

Converting the final ISO image...
Fixing CD-ROM image...
WARNING: Encountered a mode 0 sector at 0x0D94C970 that is followed by more data. This is not expected to happen, but fixing will proceed.
ERROR: Encountered unknown mode! This is probably not a proper image.
Generating CUE file...
ISO image successfully converted to CD-ROM format!
Last edited by scorp256 on 09 Dec 2019 15:36, edited 2 times in total.
Landcross
Dumper

Post by Landcross »

So.... I haven't heard any arguments against my proposal. Can we push this through?
Hiccup
Datter

Post by Hiccup »

As this is a batch operation, xuom2 would have to do it. But I think he is a bit busy at the moment.
xuom2
High Council

Post by xuom2 »

(finally) done! it was more complicated than you may expect :P
Landcross
Dumper

Post by Landcross »

Cool, thanks! Now fix the name... 😇
The whole reason to separate them was because they are not (only) PlayStation Portable. And now it's still called PlayStation Portable haha.
They are just, PS One Classics, not PlayStation Portable, 3, 4, 5 or Vita. Just, PS One Classics. From PSN ;)

I'd suggest something like 'Sony - PlayStation 1 Classics (PSN)' or 'Sony - PlayStation One Classics (PSN)' or something along those lines. (The first option would sort really nice with 3 and 4).

EDIT: or maybe just 'Sony - PlayStation 1 (PSN)'?
xuom2
High Council

Post by xuom2 »

Totally understand the "sorting" thing. I see Sony uses "one" lowcase :shock: :?
Hiccup
Datter

Post by Hiccup »

I think to fit in with the other dat names "console (extra info) [(extra info)]", it should be one of the following:
PlayStation Portable/3/4/Vita/4 (PS one Classics) (PSN)
PlayStation (PS one Classics) (PSN)
PlayStation Network (PS one Classics) (PSN)
Landcross
Dumper

Post by Landcross »

Hiccup wrote: 10 Jan 2020 18:45 I think to fit in with the other dat names "console (extra info) [(extra info)]", it should be one of the following:
PlayStation Portable/3/4/Vita/4 (PS one Classics) (PSN)
PlayStation (PS one Classics) (PSN)
PlayStation Network (PS one Classics) (PSN)
The first one seems rather... ridiculous to me. The second one seems incomplete. And the third one, I guess I could live with that but than the other PSN dats should be renamed too like 'PlayStation Network (PlayStation 4) (PSN)'. Wait a minute, the third one is a bit double. PlayStation Network and than later on PSN which stands for... PlayStation Network :lol:

I'm personally (but again, that's just my opinion) still under the opinion it should just be something along the lines of 'PlayStation 1 (PSN)'. I mean, after all they're ps1 games that can be played on modern systems, but it's possible to extract the ps1 game and run in ps1 emulators.