Odd sized roms [SNES]

Post bug reports and suggestions for the website, forums and DOM here.
buffaloj0e

Odd sized roms [SNES]

Post by buffaloj0e »

There are a few snes pal roms that are unusual sizes based on byuu’s dumps. These are 2mb smaller then the actual cart dump as byuu’s dumping hardware works in 2mb blocks instead of 4mb like the chips. Is it possible to have both sizes marked as verified to avoid confusion? The games in question (so far) are FIFA 97, Spectre, Worms. I can confirm from dumps that the old checksum match’s the old dump and manual trimming provides byuu’s checksum, so technically both are correct. If a post with checksums is needed please let me know.
KingMike

Re: Odd sized roms [SNES]

Post by KingMike »

The difference is that byuu has removed data he has detected as mirroring even when it results in a non-standard size.

I believe byuu doesn't wish to divide mirroring based on economically feasible to produce sizes. (probably nobody will produce a 7-megabit cart since that would require at least 3 chips but 10/12/20/24 were common 2-chip sizes)
hornpipe2

Re: Odd sized roms [SNES]

Post by hornpipe2 »

So what is the No-Intro stance? Is the best rom the "minimum runnable ROM", the "matches what's on the chips", the "minimum power-of-2", the "whatever the emulator devs say", or something else?