evercade

General No-Intro related discussions.
Hiccup
Datter

Re: evercade

Post by Hiccup »

esmith13 wrote: 16 Nov 2023 20:14 Any plans to move forward with this in any way? I've maintained clean dumps of the complete collection prior to being inserted in any console via a dedicated Linux box that mounts everything plugged in as read-only. I have most of the cart ROM updates separately as well and eventually will get the ones I'm still missing. (just laziness on my part)
I've asked xuom2 to make a database section for Evercade. You could go ahead and make a thread in the New Dumps subforum for your dumps, then those can be added once the database section is made.
esmith13

Post by esmith13 »

Hiccup wrote: 16 Nov 2023 22:43
I've asked xuom2 to make a database section for Evercade. You could go ahead and make a thread in the New Dumps subforum for your dumps, then those can be added once the database section is made.
Excuse my ignorance but I'm not sure what exactly to post? If it helps to know, these "carts" are just SD card flash memory in (usually) fat32 format or (for specific carts) ext4 format. They are "just a bunch of files" and not made in a very standardized fashion, causing many carts to be rejected by the system fresh out of the box. Imaging two new carts right out of the box usually yields two different results due to inconsistent formatting.
Hiccup
Datter

Post by Hiccup »

esmith13 wrote: 17 Nov 2023 00:07
Hiccup wrote: 16 Nov 2023 22:43
Excuse my ignorance but I'm not sure what exactly to post? If it helps to know, these "carts" are just SD card flash memory in (usually) fat32 format or (for specific carts) ext4 format. They are "just a bunch of files" and not made in a very standardized fashion, causing many carts to be rejected by the system fresh out of the box. Imaging two new carts right out of the box usually yields two different results due to inconsistent formatting.
No worries. As you've said, the actual filesystem image isn't consistent, so there isn't really a good way to record info on the whole filesystem, unless there is some tool that can record all the metadata and allow you to reconstruct the image from that and the loose files.

So for now, its probably good enough to just record the sizes and hashes for the files themselves (those can be created for the whole directory structure by scanning the directory using ROMVault, then right clicking on the entry in the tree and choosing create/save DAT), and the filesystem's per-file metadata (e.g. using find . -type f -exec stat {} \; > stat_output.txt in the root of the directory).

And then the general info (e.g. photos of the carts etc).
Hiccup
Datter

Post by Hiccup »

Hiccup
Datter

Post by Hiccup »

(also feel free to PM me, and we can talk on discord or somewhere if its easier)
esmith13

Post by esmith13 »

Hiccup wrote: 22 Nov 2023 13:06 (also feel free to PM me, and we can talk on discord or somewhere if its easier)
I'll PM you my Discord name. I am a n00b to what is needed here to be useful so if you don't mind I could use a bit of hand-holding for my first try. I would plan to ask about it next week since the rest of this week is a holiday for me.

Thanks in advance for your time.
Hiccup
Datter

Post by Hiccup »

Sure, no problem.
smesgr

Post by smesgr »

I made a PCB. It is microSD adapter - feel free to share the link:
https://github.com/smesgr9000/microcade/