If only one NES ROM should be kept, which one should I choose?

General No-Intro related discussions.
fyngd

If only one NES ROM should be kept, which one should I choose?

Post by fyngd »

Castlevania (USA)
Castlevania (Japan)
Castlevania (Europe)
Castlevania (Micro Genius)
Castlevania (Virtual Console)
Castlevania (GameCube Edition)
Castlevania (xxxxx Collection)
Hiccup
Datter

Re: If only one NES ROM should be kept, which one should I choose?

Post by Hiccup »

if you mean in terms of which to play, USA is generally a good pick for NES, because it'll be in English (if you want that), and it'll be 60Hz unlike European/PAL versions which will be 50Hz (afaik). As for if you want one of the (usually digital) rerelease versions (VC, GameCube etc), it depends if you want to play the game as it was released back in the day, or if you want the modern day improvements (bug fixes, epilepsy reductions) that they might have made.
Braintrash

Post by Braintrash »

The Japanese one. Totally.
fyngd

Post by fyngd »

Hiccup wrote: 06 Sep 2021 21:27 if you mean in terms of which to play, USA is generally a good pick for NES, because it'll be in English (if you want that), and it'll be 60Hz unlike European/PAL versions which will be 50Hz (afaik). As for if you want one of the (usually digital) rerelease versions (VC, GameCube etc), it depends if you want to play the game as it was released back in the day, or if you want the modern day improvements (bug fixes, epilepsy reductions) that they might have made.
Thanks buddy!
fyngd

Post by fyngd »

Braintrash wrote: 07 Sep 2021 07:32 The Japanese one. Totally.
Thanks buddy!
Hiccup
Datter

Post by Hiccup »

Yeah actually, the Japanese version can often have the same advantages as the USA one (English text, 60hz), but with bennifical differences to the USA version (e.g. less censorship).

Not sure if that's the case for Castlevania, but there's some info on version differences here https://tcrf.net/Castlevania_(NES)