[FDS] Golf (Japan) (Rev 2).fds

Post all database contributions here.
Great Hierophant

[FDS] Golf (Japan) (Rev 2).fds

Post by Great Hierophant »

Converted from "Golf (Japan) (Rev 2).qd", apply IPS patch to the .qd file and rename its extension to .fds. CRC32 is 04BBD0FC.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
relax
High Council

Re: [FDS] Golf (Japan) (Rev 2).fds

Post by relax »

Yes, we haven't added any of the new revisions from the master archive as fds yet, only as qd. It wasn't a priority, as I wanted to promote the qd-format. I know fds is a lossless compression of qd as it can be reverted, but it kind of felt wrong to remove the CRC bytes from the origninal files. I don't mind if other people add the fds format for them.
Great Hierophant

Post by Great Hierophant »

I have a tool which can convert from .QD to .FDS or vice versa, so it is not a big deal to convert all the remaining .QD exclusives to the .FDS format which every emulator supports. I have no interest in converting any GameCube, Wii, Wii U, 3DS Virtual Console or Collector's Edition release to FDS format. I believe there are nine .QD images which do not have a corresponding .fds image and fit the above criteria :

Egger Land (Japan) (Rev 1)
Famicom Mukashibanashi - Shin Onigashima - Zenpen (Japan) (DV 3)
Famicom Tantei Club Part II - Ushiro ni Tatsu Shoujo - Kouhen (Japan) (DV 4)
Ginga Denshou - Galaxy Odyssey (Japan) (Rev 1)
Golf (Japan) (Rev 2)
Idol Hotline - Nakayama Miho no Tokimeki High School (Japan) (DV 13) (Disk Writer)
Monitor Puzzle Kineko, The - Kinetic Connection (Japan) (Rev 1)
Othello (Japan) (DV 3)
SD Gundam World - Gachapon Senshi - Scramble Wars (Japan) (Rev 1)

Here you can get the IPS files needed to convert the above .QD files into .FDS files :

https://www.mediafire.com/file/ooupon6b ... S.zip/file
KingMike

Post by KingMike »

Is the IPS patching the QD files to make them FDS?

If so, since it seems data is being removed (checksums), BPS would probably the more legal way to convert. (the FDS "ROM" file size may not change but due to its structure, deleting the checksum data would essentially move each file two bytes forward in the ROM, while adding two zeroes to the end of the disk side to pad out the data. That's what I'm guessing it does.)
IPS is comparatively dumb and can't understand moved data, so it will probably just copy most or all of the following ROM data once it hits a file change.
Whereas BPS should detect when data is moved.
(I'm not too familiar but would xdelta work too? I know it's pretty uncommon to use it on lower memory consoles, but is it still usable?)
relax
High Council

Post by relax »

@KingMike: The IPS-patch gives the same checksum as the tools I linked previously, checked with Golf. So no problem with IPS in this case.

@GreatHierophant: Do you have an opinion on the strange files from the master archive that I posted about? That is Fire Bam, Professional Mahjong Gokuu and Druid - Kyoufu no Tobira. viewtopic.php?p=24974#p24974

There is currently one emulator that runs QD-files with good checksums, NintendulatorNRS. It doesn't run the ROMs with bad checksums that Nintendo have tampered with from Virtual Console etc. While I can understand that from an accuracy viewpoint, I'd prefer an option to disable this check. After all it runs .fds ROMs with no checksum.