3ds digital question

General No-Intro related discussions.
battousai_hades

3ds digital question

Post by battousai_hades »

could someone explain this
https://ibb.co/L0LKsQ2

Let's see if I'm right ...
Super Mario Bros. ™ Deluxe EUR (00040000000ffb00); downloaded and converted from CDN by USB Helper?
Super Mario Bros. Deluxe (Europe) (GBC) (Virtual Console); Converted from a .3ds?
Super Mario Bros. Deluxe (Europe) (GBC) (Virtual Console, CIA); No-intro verified cía, from cdn, not from .3ds?.

the crc32 is different in all three, but all three are CIAs. One of them surely belongs to a .3ds rom, but the other two belong, in theory, to cdn. Why this difference? It seems that the build of usb helper, for example, was not legitimate.

Another issue is that, if the eshop games come from a cdn, and these can only be an almost exact copy in CIA, and not in .3ds ... because the non-intro verifications are based on .3ds files and not in CIAs?

.3ds for the eshop seems to violate the no-intro principles.
Greetings and sorry for these beginner questions.
Hiccup
Datter

Re: 3ds digital question

Post by Hiccup »

There is no defined standard for these containers (.3ds and .cia), so its unlikely you will get matching hashes. These containers also kind of wasteful, as each title version requires a separate container, meaning "numbered contents" shared between title versions will be duplicated between the container file for each version. The purpose of these containers is really just for easy use/installation of the title.

Its best to dat the actual contents: the "numbered contents", the tmd, and if appropriate, the cetk. I believe .3DS files only have the capability of containing the numbered contents.

If you mount each of these files with ninfs (ctrtool may also work), you should be able to access the contents of the containers and hash them. If you post the hashes of those files, I can add them to the 3DS digital dat as "plaintext contents". This data can later be compared with raw from-CDN data and merged into the new "CDN" dat.
battousai_hades

thanks for your reply. I agree with you. What I don't know is if what is duplicated in the containers is the game, and the update is separated without duplicating (separate game and update), or on the contrary, what is duplicated are things like the manual, and the game it is totally a v2, with some alteration in the line of code, same as the cartridges. Of course I mean the virtual console with different revisions (rev1, rev2, etc)

I'll be happy to give you the hashes. I have already mounted and extracted the files. But from here you have to guide me. sorry for my ignorance. Do you want the code sha-256? about what files? all, except the contents of the folders?
Hiccup
Datter

Post by Hiccup »

Not sure what your first paragraph meant, but regarding the hashes: I just noticed I have a .3ds ROM and a .cia ROM of the same game. It turns out, even accounting for the encryption, the contents don't match. So there isn't any point in comparing hashes, it turns out. Maybe its still possible to "reconcile" these .3ds dumps with proper dumps, but it might not be easy.
battousai_hades

I mean that, if the (rev) versions of the vc are alteration in the rom code inside the container .3ds / WAD / etc (modified sprites, changed dialog lines ...) like the (rev) of the cartridges, or are changes in foreign to the rom, such as the manual, etc.

I also have doubts about how the roms that are extracted from these containers are dated (.3ds, .wad, CIA, CDN, etc ...), to add them to their source console. For example:

Zelda II - The Adventure of Link (Europe) (Rev 2) (Virtual Console)
Zelda II - The Adventure of Link (Europe) (Rev 2)
Legend of Zelda, The (Europe) (Rev 1) (Virtual Console)
Legend of Zelda, The (Europe) (Rev 1)

Is the VC version the REV1/2 version of nes for the virtual console? or is it a REV1/2 of the virtual console itself?

As for the issue of hashes and crc32, I have done some checks and although I am not at home to publish the codes, this is what I have come out:

Between them they coincide, for example in the two files ncch, and xci;
Super Mario Bros. Deluxe (Europe) (GBC) (Virtual Console) (.3ds)
Super Mario Bros. ™ Deluxe EUR (00040000000ffb00) (downloaded and converted from CDN by USB Helper?)
Super Mario Bros. Deluxe (Europe) (GBC) (Virtual Console, CIA). this corresponds to the cia that appears in the no-intro dat. It looks like a legitimate conversion and it matches the other two, but it doesn't seem to come from a .3ds conversion with a simple converter. Do you know how this cia was obtained?

It does not coincide;
Super Mario Bros. Deluxe (Europe) (GBC) (virtual console) (.cía) Converted from a .3ds with simple cia converter? Can simple cia converter alter content when converting from 3ds to cia?
Last edited by battousai_hades on 20 Nov 2020 01:38, edited 2 times in total.
Hiccup
Datter

Post by Hiccup »

The revision numbers in the dat correspond to ROM that the relevant dat is for.

E.g.
Game Name (Rev 1) in SNES dat means its a Rev 1 SNES ROM
Game Name (Rev 1) in 3DS dat means its a Rev 1 3DS ROM
battousai_hades

Let's see if I understand it. In the .dat of the 3ds digital, there is only this version of zelda II:

0051 - Zelda II - The Adventure of Link (USA) (Rev 1) (NES) (Virtual Console).3ds

Does this mean that the 3ds zelda II v0 is not yet dated? I thought rev 1 was because nintendo used nes rev 1 to build the 3ds version.
On the other hand, what you say makes sense, because in nes there is no rev2 of zelda USA, but in 3ds there is a rev2.
The truth is that it is all very confusing.
Hiccup
Datter

Post by Hiccup »

TBH I'm not sure about this one. "Revision" numbering isn't usually used for digital Nintendo stuff, because that's not the native versioning scheme.
battousai_hades

That's why I am surprised that only 3ds digital roms vc of NES are with REVs. Maybe in some it is because of the ambassador program? I've looked at it vaguely, but it seems that only the nes who were on the ambassador show have REVs. These games were given away with a preview version and later updated with the official release. Maybe some were updated more than once, like The legend of zelda.

EDIT: By the way. What do you mean when you say "that's not the native version control scheme"? I'm sorry to be so heavy, but I want to understand how things are dated, so I can contribute something, if I can.