Fire Emblem ''special'' cartridges

General No-Intro related discussions.
vergil2012

Fire Emblem ''special'' cartridges

Post by vergil2012 »

https://serenesforest.net/general/download-events/

''In Japan, the VJump magazine held a promotional competition, tied to the Fire Emblem manga Hasha no Tsurugi, where selected winners could receive special Sword of Seals cartridges containing unique Trial Maps already downloaded.''

''50 winners could obtain the “Grizel Execution Court” map, which was based on a location in the manga (where Al and Gant went to rescue Tiena).

10 winners could obtain the “V-type” and “J-type” maps, whose shapes were based on the letters V and J.

Additionally, the Japanese official site awarded the “Defeat Bandits” map to those who obtained the highest ranks in their ranking contest.

These extra Trial maps do not exist in standard cartridges, making them something of a rarity''

''Additionally VJump held a competition, where a number of winners could receive a special Blazing Sword cartridge with a Dragon Axe, Silver Card, Vulnerary (60 uses) and Song 100: Palace of Silesia already downloaded.''

I'm not sure if these are submitted, but I suppose they're not, so if not, it's pretty much impossible to track these down, right?
BigFred
High Council

Re: Fire Emblem ''special'' cartridges

Post by BigFred »

Yeah, we know about this event. I'm not sure the winners received actual cartridges or could download those maps to their own game. I wonder how this download actually worked. Did it modify a savestate or something? Or is there a portion of the game's SRAM that is never used for savefiles at all?
vergil2012

Post by vergil2012 »

Good questions! Though I can't answer them. Time to dig further...
KingMike

Post by KingMike »

Those were GBA games. Pretty sure the system had no ability to "download" anything.
At most, Pokemon-style linking a console to another running a giveaway program.