1G1R mode / future of dats

General No-Intro related discussions.
Powerpuff
Datter

Re: 1G1R mode / future of dats

Post by Powerpuff »

Before the only way to obtain a merged NDS set was to use kazumi213's database and GoodMerge. Efficiant but hard to maintain up to date because no ROM Manager supported 7-Zip merged sets.

Now both RomCenter and ClrMameProhave have improved and are getting new great features. Thanks to new XML fomat we have versatile dat files and we can merge No-Intro sets... but it seems limited to zip format and laks 7-Zip support.
RomCenter doesn't support already 7z format and ClrMamePro can only read it (if I have well understood ;) ).

So with RomCenter, today we can only have and maintain zip format ROM set.

But what about ClrMamePro? Since it can read 7z format, can I maintain a merged set in this format? If I'm right I can't rebuild a zip Rom set into 7z format? But if it's already in 7z, can I add a new clone in a parent set for example?

And the big question! Do you know a batch zip to 7z convertor? ;)
kazumi213
High Council

Post by kazumi213 »

Merging your collection will always yield an equal/smaller overall size vs split/unmerged archiving. When using 7z format to merge, you always get a smaller size collection.

Lukeage 7z-merged a full (and I mean full) NDS collection using GoodMerge and No-Intro XMDB file for NDS and reported a resulting size around 25 Gbytes. He did the same with GBA and got great space savings too. However note it is a slow process. NDS takes around 12 hours to merge when using 7z (it depends on your hardware and 7z archiving parameters).

Current ROM managers can't create 7z archives. This means that you can't directly maintain a 7z-merged collection using a ROM manager. CMPro can rename a 7z archive, but can't rename/modify its contents.

There is a workaround (by Lukeage):

- Audit your 7z-merged collection using CMPro and the new P/C XML DAT. First you must be sure that CMPro region settings match those that you used when merging using GoodMerge. Then go to Scanner and scan (but don't fix) in "Merged Mode".
- Those 7z archives with "problems" (bad ROM names, missing clones, whatever) will be reported.
- Move those specific 7z archives to a separate folder (I recommend using the same folder that contains all new ROMs since your last maintenance operation). "Rebuild" from that folder to "Unmerged ROMs".
- GoodMerge again those ROMs.

Alternatively you can Rebuild to "Merged ROMs" (this will create .zip merged archives), then batch convert from .zip to .7z. The old forum had a thread with a batch file doing this.
Powerpuff
Datter

Post by Powerpuff »

@kazumi213 :
Thanks ^^
Bogy

Post by Bogy »

In the days of tera byte hds, 7zip is overrated. It's a lousy format, ok, nice compression ratio but did you ever look at its sdk? Adding 7zip write support isn't a big thing, but I spend my time better on more important things in real life.
kazumi213
High Council

Post by kazumi213 »

No problem Roman. I understand your point of view. Your recent additions to CMPro help A LOT, and the workaround above is acceptable enough to me.

However you'll agree that in some scenarios a smaller collection size is prefered ;)
Powerpuff
Datter

Post by Powerpuff »

Bogy wrote:Adding 7zip write support isn't a big thing, but I spend my time better on more important things in real life.
You're right. ;)
I hope my remarks about 7-Zip features weren't rude for you, I didn't mean so.
I have more thanks than complains about ClrMamePro. Thank you for your work and constant improvements!
Bogy

Post by Bogy »

no prob
kazumi213
High Council

Post by kazumi213 »

Ok, I've found a problem in current 1G1R implementation.

In 1G1R mode, standard ROM names (from "game name" field) must always be used. However currently the "release name" is used when in a family a matching ROM is not found (according to user's region preferences) and the algorithm forces using the parent. This problem could be due to the Scanner operating in forced "Merged Sets" mode when 1G1R mode is selected. It should operate in "Unmerged/Split Sets" mode instead.

I missed this problem on the previous tests because my particular test region settings always yielded a ROM match in families.
Bogy

Post by Bogy »

kazumi213 wrote: In 1G1R mode, standard ROM names (from "game name" field) must always be used.
Well, then Mike told me wrong about it. I force it to full-merge to actually enable the 'prefered name' instead of using the normal set name. No big deal to change it though...only have to remove the force-fullmerge. Send me private mail so I can send you a test build (but not after this coming weekend...).
Bogy

Post by Bogy »

Bogy wrote:
kazumi213 wrote: In 1G1R mode, standard ROM names (from "game name" field) must always be used.
Well, then Mike told me wrong about it. I force it to full-merge to actually enable the 'prefered name' instead of using the normal set name. No big deal to change it though...only have to remove the force-fullmerge. Send me private mail so I can send you a test build (but not after this coming weekend...).

ok...fixed for next release
kazumi213
High Council

Post by kazumi213 »

Thanks! ;)
Bogy

Post by Bogy »

kazumi213 wrote:Thanks! ;)

released...
kazumi213
High Council

Post by kazumi213 »

I know this is a bit old news, but I've just noticed it: what an AWESOME WIP!
Bogy

Post by Bogy »

well...yeah...a week old....funnily enough I haven't touched the source since that little addition....too sunny outside...too much real life work.....and watching football ;) If you wonder how a freeware program can do rar compression, well...the answer is easy: External tools. I only have to add two more member functions overrides and the scanner and merger will handle full support for rar/7z as well....but as I said...not much time at the moment.
Bogy

Post by Bogy »

released... :)