[NES] Multiple issues with (Asia) ROMs

Post all database contributions here.
Great Hierophant

[NES] Multiple issues with (Asia) ROMs

Post by Great Hierophant »

In addition to the 3D Block issue I reported (and which has yet to be acted upon), there are more issues with the existing dumps in no-intro marked with "(Asia)" :

AV Mei Shao Nv Zhan Shi (Asia) (Unl).nes - This is a bad dump and will crash at the Game Over screen. Use the other dump from GoodNES.

Bao Xiao San Guo (Asia) (Unl).nes - This ROM has been hacked to use Mapper 15, which is a mapper found only on multi-carts. That makes it bad.

Chik Bik Ji Jin - Saam Gwok Ji (Asia) (Ja) (Unl).nes - This is in Traditional Chinese and from a Taiwnese publisher, Asder. Mandarin Chinese appears to be used elsewhere in this set unless otherwise indicated, so the name should be Sanguozhi - Chibi zhi Zhan (Asia) (Unl).nes and the (Ja) removed.

Chuugoku Taitei (Asia) (Ja) (Unl).nes - This game is in Chinese, not Japanese, and the name should be Zhongguo Daheng and the (Ja) dropped.

Dao Shuai (Asia) (Ja) (Unl).nes - This game is in Chinese, not Japanese, the (Ja) should be dropped.

Incantation (Asia) (Ja) (Unl).nes - This ROM has been hacked to use Mapper 3, that makes it bad. This game is in Chinese, not Japanese, the (Ja) should be dropped.

Poker III (Asia) (Ja) (Unl).nes
Poker III (Asia) (Ja) (Alt 1) (Unl).nes
Poker III (Asia) (Ja) (Alt 2) (Unl).nes - Only (Alt 2) is good, the rest are bad dumps and should be removed from the database.

Taan Hak Fung Wan - King Tank (Asia) (Unl).nes - There is no reason to use the Cantonese reading of the Traditional Chinese characters. It should be "Tank Fengyun - King Tank" or "Tanke Fengyun".

Venice Beach Volleyball (Asia) (Ja) (Super Mega) (Unl).nes - This is has been hacked to use Mapper 3 and thus bad. There is no Japanese in the game, so the (Ja) should be dropped.

Wei Lai Xiao Zi (Asia) (Ja) (Unl).nes - The cartridge label has "Joy Van Kid" on it, so this should be renamed to "Wei Lai Xiao Zi - Joy Van Kid (Asia) (Unl).nes" and the (Ja) dropped for a game released by the Taiwanese company Joy Van.

Zhan Guo Si Chuan Sheng (Asia) (Nei-Hu) (Unl).nes - This version of the game was released by Idea-tek, not Nei-hu.
Great Hierophant

Re: [NES] Multiple issues with (Asia) ROMs

I would note that some of the Asia games do not appear to be playable depending on where you obtain your archive from. All their issues can be fixed with a proper header and an accurate emulator, except for Poker III (Asia) (Ja) (Unl).nes and Poker III (Asia) (Ja) (Alt 1) (Unl).nes, which are corrupt.
Great Hierophant

Ying Xiong Yuan Yi Jing Chuan Qi (Asia) (Unl).nes - That's an authorized Dragon Warrior port translated into Chinese, it should be marked [Pirate].

Dong Dong Nao II - Guo Zhong Ying Wen (Yi) (Asia) (Ja) (Unl).nes - This has been hacked to mapper 3 and thus is bad.

Duck (Asia) (En) (Rev 1) (Unl).nes - This is lacking the "Bit Corp." copyright, so it may be a hack or a pirate of the game.
Great Hierophant

Just in case anyone actually cares or reads these reports :

AV Poker (Japan) (Unl).nes is bad, there will be corrupt graphics with one of the ladies at later parts of the game.

Pipe V (Asia) (Ja) (Unl).nes is bad, the good dump is identical to Pipemania (Australia) (HES) (Unl).nes.
omonim2007
Datter

Post by omonim2007 »

Thank you for paying attention to such a topic.

I would like to clarify: how do you determine that there are errors in dumps? Do you use an emulator?
The fact that emulators can play games with errors is quite normal (especially pirated games that use all sorts of protection).

I'm afraid that all Asian dumps (and other garbage) in the database are of absolutely no interest to anyone.
However, in order to make any changes, you need to buy a cartridge first and to make a dump by yourself.
After that I will be very pleased to make the appropriate changes.
scyther-grovyle
Datter

Post by scyther-grovyle »

I do think the situation is not very ideal. (Unl) has been in a weird position for No-Intro and there has been little interest, as omonim said, but calling it garbage is exactly what pushes away anyone who could remedy the situation.
There is no clear policy and the rare debates on the topic have all brought no conclusion. At least streamlining what's already included is a good idea. There is a lot of work being done by people especially interested in the more obscure parts of gaming and I think it's not fair to gatekeep them. I for one can vouch that Hierophant is not just somebody wildly sticking stuff into normal emulators. It takes understanding to know what games have not been mapper hacked or otherwise modified and we should be grateful someone is doing that work. There are tons of new dumps being made with no one paying attention or submitting them. I do hope somebody will either act on the info shared here, or will be willing to give a role and teach someone to do it himself if interested. All this lowkey shaming of weird tastes in gaming is dumb, a lot of these are original, retail released, polished games.
Tauwasser
Datter

Post by Tauwasser »

Great Hierophant wrote: 19 Apr 2020 17:19 Just in case anyone actually cares or reads these reports
We do read every report. It's just an obscure topic not many people are familiar with, so your input is very welcome!

As for changes to the database, surely the name changes can go ahead if the text is clearly in Chinese and not Japanese and so on. For over-/under-/misdumps we require proof, but if there are multiple versions already in the DB and only the mapper-related code changed, it's probably worth considering.

Generally speaking, NES with the mappers and custom PCBs and so on is a real headache to get archived properly, so for obscure unlicensed games, mistakes will probably remain :-/
Great Hierophant

I appreciate that the reports are read, although caring does seem to be a bit shaky :)

Here is one more : Hanafuda Yuukyou Den - Nagarebana Oryuu (Japan) (Unl).nes - no good dump known. There used to be a [ b] next to its name, it should remain there. It's missing half its CHR-ROM!

For all the Asia games, the first hurdle that people have to deal with are incorrect headers. The game may not run or run correctly if the header has incorrect information. I think that is something of a hurdle reporting errors with No-Intro's Asia games. However, except for Poker III (Asia) (Ja) (Unl).nes and Poker III (Asia) (Ja) (Alt 1) (Unl).nes, one can get everything marked (Asia) running with the new header Database.

Poker III (Asia) (Ja) (Unl).nes is identical to Poker III (Asia) (Ja) (Alt 2) (Unl).nes in the PRG and (Alt 1) only has a few differences. The three ROMs only differ in the CHR bank order. Mapper 150 is the proper mapper for Poker III, not Mapper 243. Alt 2 has a bank order compatible with Mapper 150, which makes the non-Alt identical and makes Alt 1 suspect in the integrity of its PRG.

As for AV Poker, in the No-Intro ROM, 6 out of 14 of the pictures of the ladies is corrupt. AV Poker uses Mapper 79, which is not a complex mapper. Hacker International never used the complex hardware of Sachen, C&E or Idea-Tek. There is a Taiwan release by Idea-Tek (not in No-Intro) which uses the same portraits and Mapper 79 and they display correctly. Copying over the CHR data fixes the Hacker graphics. The only differences between the Idea-Tek and Hacker releases otherwise relate to the missing Hacker International copyright and some bankswitching code which, in the Hacker release, matches that of a Game Master hack.

Ying Xiong Yuan Yi Jing Chuan Qi (Asia) (Unl).nes looks like this in-game, look familiar to anyone?
one.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
relax
High Council

Post by relax »

Thanks for your reports. I have started to implement your title and language fixes.

Hanafuda Yuukyou Den - Nagarebana Oryuu is replaced with a good dump, confirmed from two sources, ototo and Rzone.

AV Poker is replaced with Rzone's dump, which differs from ototo's. The boards are different. Rzone states that his dump fixes the glitched graphics, but his ROM has a mapper 3 iNES header.
relax
High Council

Post by relax »

I fixed all issues reported in this thread I think. Thanks again.