The purpose of this sub-category (and 2 other questions)

Post all database contributions here.
Bowi

The purpose of this sub-category (and 2 other questions)

Post by Bowi » 29 Jul 2020 14:37

Hello!

What's the purpose of this sub-category? What's the difference between here and "New Dumps & Redumps" (Or Undumped)?

1. Also on N64, what's the purpose of a bitswapped file?

2. Why don't we use SHA-256 for bitswapped files? (Oh! Wait! Does it have something to do with the file size?! I need an explanation. šŸ˜…)

rarenight

Re: The purpose of this sub-category (and 2 other questions)

Post by rarenight » 30 Jul 2020 01:25

1. The Database Contributions section is visible to the public and is for any mistakes or corrections to the database, while the New Dumps section is only for members and is for reporting hashes for dumps. But people seem to treat both sections as if they're synonymous nowadays.

Big-endian: Native byte order for N64 ROMs, use this one. Modern dump tools dump in Big-endian by default and you can use a tool like ucon64 to generate a Byte-swapped version.

Byte-swapped: The original dump format back in the day (endianness is reversed), kept for legacy reasons but there's no reason to choose it over Big-endian.

3. Dunno, because SHA-256 is optional for both. Maybe that's just the process for whoever was updating the N64 releases. There are titles that only have SHA-1 for both.

Also the possibility of a duplicate SHA-1 is so remote that I think it's sufficient for archival purposes. I'm personally a fan of adding SHA-256 where I can, but some tools (like GameHeader) don't generate it and sometimes it's just not worth the time to generate separately.

Bowi

Post by Bowi » 30 Jul 2020 04:12

Thanks! :D

I finished gathering the data. I'm processing the pictures I took and will soon submit five (5) entries. Four entries are already in the database. Should I submit them in "New Dumps". (I'm pretty sure that's the place!)

I also have one entry that is only available in the "Scene dump(s)" section. Should I submit this entry in the "Undumped Games" sub-forum?

Hiccup
Datter

Post by Hiccup » 30 Jul 2020 13:17

All dumps should be submitted New Dumps, but you can mark in the thread title and/or post itself if the hashes match what is already in the dat.

Bowi

Post by Bowi » 30 Jul 2020 19:32

Thanks.

What's the maximum size for attachments on this board? Can I upload ".7z" files?

Hiccup
Datter

Post by Hiccup » 31 Jul 2020 09:00

You can upload 7zs, but the limit is quite small, so you may want to use an external file hosting service. Also note that attachments may get auto-deleted after a time. Not sure.