How to keep "Trusted" & have modification as selected ROM?

Post bug reports and suggestions for the website, forums and DOM here.
Hiccup
Datter

How to keep "Trusted" & have modification as selected ROM?

Post by Hiccup »

https://datomatic.no-intro.org/index.ph ... =24&n=0917

Excluding the files in the Trusted source or setting the trusted source to dump status "other", so that the modification is the "selected" ROM, causes the archive to no longer me marked as "Trusted". I don't think there is any way to get around this currently, is there? Maybe there should be a way to make a Trusted Modification actually count as trusted? I'm not sure.
xuom2
High Council

Re: How to keep "Trusted" & have modification as selected ROM?

Post by xuom2 »

a question maybe offtopic: why we don't mark the overdumped source as bad?
Hiccup
Datter

Post by Hiccup »

Because its not really "bad" as such. Its just not the ideal size (which protos is often based on opinion, since the carts are often bigger than needed). It doesn't affect the integrity of the data.
omonim2007
Datter

Post by omonim2007 »

xuom2 wrote: 24 Jan 2022 22:26 a question maybe offtopic: why we don't mark the overdumped source as bad?
I will answer for myself, as I usually do (I hope all datters do the same). Any overdumped ROM is always need to have a bad FILE (connected using BINLIST relationship), I mark it that way. But there is always a Trusted Modification source nearby, so the result is just a Third-Party (not verified) source. Naturally, overdump info should not exist (should be invisible) at dat file at the output.

Of course, if there is only one source, and it is definitely overdumped, then the output should have a bad status. Almost all normal consoles check the integrity of the ROM. Therefore, from the point of view of both the manufacturer and the hardware itself, overdumped ROM is bad ROM.
Hiccup
Datter

Post by Hiccup »

For Nintendo consoles, whole-ROM integrity checks are only a thing for digital titles, 3DS carts and Switch carts, and maybe Wii and Wii U discs.