Zelda NES roms

General No-Intro related discussions.
ezee03

Zelda NES roms

Post by ezee03 »

i dont know if its an error with dat o matic, or maybe im missing something, but the NES CRC of zelda and zelda 2 on No Intro shows the CRC as
d44b412e - Zelda 1
47b6a39f - Zelda 2
but the only ones everywhere on the internet marked as verified roms showing up as this
3c07a00a - Zelda 1
1e43034a - Zelda 2
is dat o matic wrong or is there a rom with that CRC, if there is, please help me!
Hiccup
Datter

Re: Zelda NES roms

Post by Hiccup »

Most ROMs on the internet have an iNES header added, which emulators use (if they don't have an internal database) to work out which mapper (etc) to use for emulating the ROM. The No-Intro dats have hashed for the unmodified ROMs (no fan-made header). But in the future, I'm hoping to add headered ROMs as an alternative format, using NewRisingSun's header database (which are basically the current best available iNES headers).
ezee03

Post by ezee03 »

Hiccup wrote: 03 Jan 2022 22:15 Most ROMs on the internet have an iNES header added, which emulators use (if they don't have an internal database) to work out which mapper (etc) to use for emulating the ROM. The No-Intro dats have hashed for the unmodified ROMs (no fan-made header). But in the future, I'm hoping to add headered ROMs as an alternative format, using NewRisingSun's header database (which are basically the current best available iNES headers).
Is the Roms i have correct, if not would dumping the game myself have the correct CRC?
ezee03

Post by ezee03 »

i just wanted an 'Official' rom collection, and the zelda 1 and zelda 2, roms arent matching no intro dat o matic, am i doing something wrong? thankyou
dreimer

Post by dreimer »

Just verify them with the database and a ROM Verifier like CLRMAME Pro or Romcenter. They will tell you as the cut off the header for verification.
ezee03

Post by ezee03 »

dreimer wrote: 04 Jan 2022 13:32 Just verify them with the database and a ROM Verifier like CLRMAME Pro or Romcenter. They will tell you as the cut off the header for verification.
i read online that emulators need the header, is that true? or can i cut off the header and it will still work? thanks!
Hiccup
Datter

Post by Hiccup »

ezee03 wrote: 04 Jan 2022 13:54
dreimer wrote: 04 Jan 2022 13:32 Just verify them with the database and a ROM Verifier like CLRMAME Pro or Romcenter. They will tell you as the cut off the header for verification.
i read online that emulators need the header, is that true? or can i cut off the header and it will still work? thanks!
ROM managers should skip the header if setup right. They won't actually cut it off the header from the file - they just cut it off in-memory/in-RAM while hashing the file.
ezee03

Post by ezee03 »

Hiccup wrote: 04 Jan 2022 14:09
ezee03 wrote: 04 Jan 2022 13:54
ROM managers should skip the header if setup right. They won't actually cut it off the header from the file - they just cut it off in-memory/in-RAM while hashing the file.
i found a program that cuts off the 16 byte nes header, so it matches the no intro dat file, is that the correct move, or is having a header correct? thankyou
Hiccup
Datter

Post by Hiccup »

I'd say until No-Intro gets dats with headered NES ROMs, the best move is to use a set with iNES headers, but compare them against the non-headered dat by using a ROM manager that supports the header skipper file (its linked on the download page for the NES dat).
ezee03

Post by ezee03 »

Hiccup wrote: 04 Jan 2022 14:27 I'd say until No-Intro gets dats with headered NES ROMs, the best move is to use a set with iNES headers, but compare them against the non-headered dat by using a ROM manager that supports the header skipper file (its linked on the download page for the NES dat).
if playing nes games with or without nes headers and then took a header off or put a header on a rom, would they be compatible? save files and such?
and what would i do with that file, could you give me a guide, i have used romcenter before, how do i compare each rom? thanks bro!
Hiccup
Datter

Post by Hiccup »

i don't think it should make any difference to save files. I'm afraid I haven't actually used header skippers myself or RomCenter, but maybe someone else here can help.
ezee03

Post by ezee03 »

Hiccup wrote: 04 Jan 2022 14:48 i don't think it should make any difference to save files. I'm afraid I haven't actually used header skippers myself or RomCenter, but maybe someone else here can help.
thankyou for your help bro!
when do you think no intro will have nes header rom data?
Hiccup
Datter

Post by Hiccup »

There's no specific date, its just when I have time, as I've got other datting stuff to do. Unless someone else does it before me, that is.
ezee03

Post by ezee03 »

Hiccup wrote: 04 Jan 2022 15:32 There's no specific date, its just when I have time, as I've got other datting stuff to do. Unless someone else does it before me, that is.
okay mate, i look forward to it! thanks for everything!
Hiccup
Datter

Post by Hiccup »

You're welcome.