Help with Neo Geo Pocket Color REDUMPS

General No-Intro related discussions.
root
Site Admin

Help with Neo Geo Pocket Color REDUMPS

Post by root »

Rif: 2099-1 Help with Neo Geo Pocket Color REDUMPS \ geezup on 15th April 2008, 23:24 wrote:

Hi there guys.

How acurate is the NGPC database ? Who did dump those carts ?

I'm redumping my 15 NGPC games, using a Pocket Linker but seems very few of my dumps match current ones in DAT file, no matter how many times i dump them.

All of my dumps are playable on emulators, but as i said, just a few of them match current ones.

I'll try redumping them all again tomorrow on another computer to see if there is something wrong here.

Any ideas to get perfect NGPC dumps?

===============================================

Re: Help with Neo Geo Pocket Color REDUMPS \ Yakushi~Kabuto on 16th April 2008, 04:55 wrote:

The NGPC database is simply 0% verified.

When you dump several times, do you remove the cartridge from programmer and re-insert it? Because if you don't, you're likely to redump the same bad dump 1000 times.

Did you also check your dumps in goodngpx, it might recognize different formats...

If you did thought, then your dumps are probably correct and those in the dat or goodngpx are bad.

Re: Help with Neo Geo Pocket Color REDUMPS \ ElBarto on 16th April 2008, 15:34 wrote:

I think that the pocketlinker dumps the saves part too, check that or clean the dump.

Re: Help with Neo Geo Pocket Color REDUMPS \ geezup on 17th April 2008, 22:58 wrote:

Well, seems i finally got this working correctly, but results are not different than the other day, maybe a couple games that gave me different CRCs now are ok. Seems contacts were a bit dirty.

All contacts cleaned, all carts have been dumped 4 times, pluging and unplugging them from the pocket linker between dumps.

At least, all CRCs for all dumps, matches. Gonna check them against current dumps in database to see if they match or not.

ElBarto, can you ellaborate more on what you said ? How to check for savestates in the dumps and how to fix them ? I've no clue. Thanks.

Ok, to make it shorter, here is a modified SFV generated file with CRCs for all dumps.

CRC - TITLE --> denotes current CRC in DAT file, and rom name.

The rest is the CRC list for my dumps.

DUMP1 CRC1
DUMP2 CRC2
DUMP3 CRC3
DUMP4 CRC4

<font color="black">DUMP INFO STARTS HERE

94B63A97 doesn't match SNK vs. Capcom - Card Fighters' Clash - SNK Version (UE)

Card Fighter's Clash_SNK_Ver.ngp D029DAA7
Card Fighter's Clash_SNK_Ver_2.ngp D029DAA7
Card Fighter's Clash_SNK_Ver_3.ngp D029DAA7
Card Fighter's Clash_SNK_Ver_4.ngp D029DAA7

6F353F34 doesn't match Dark Arms - Beast Buster 1999 (JUE) (M2)

Dark Arms.ngp 8BD9C11F
Dark Arms_2.ngp 8BD9C11F
Dark Arms_3.ngp 8BD9C11F
Dark Arms_4.ngp 8BD9C11F

D5CED9E9 - doesn't match Densha de Go! 2 on Neo Geo Pocket (J)

Densha De Go 2.ngp 7B74C520
Densha De Go 2_2.ngp 7B74C520
Densha De Go 2_3.ngp 7B74C520
Densha De Go 2_4.ngp 7B74C520

83DB5772 - MATCHES Dive Alert - Becky's Version (UE)!

Dive Alert - Becky's Version.ngp 83DB5772
Dive Alert - Becky's Version_2.ngp 83DB5772
Dive Alert - Becky's Version_3.ngp 83DB5772
Dive Alert - Becky's Version_4.ngp 83DB5772

A9119B5A - MATCHES Fatal Fury F-Contact (JUE) (M2) !

Fatal Fury First Contact.ngp A9119B5A
Fatal Fury First Contact_2.ngp A9119B5A
Fatal Fury First Contact_3.ngp A9119B5A
Fatal Fury First Contact_4.ngp A9119B5A

47E490A2 - MATCHES King of Fighters R-2 (JUE) (M2) !

King of Fighters R-2.ngp 47E490A2
King of Fighters R-2_2.ngp 47E490A2
King of Fighters R-2_3.ngp 47E490A2
King of Fighters R-2_4.ngp 47E490A2

4FF91807 - doesn't match Metal Slug - 1st Mission (JUE) (M2)

Metal Slug - 1s Mission.ngp F8B1C5FE
Metal Slug - 1s Mission_2.ngp F8B1C5FE
Metal Slug - 1s Mission_3.ngp F8B1C5FE
Metal Slug - 1s Mission_4.ngp F8B1C5FE

317A66D2 - doesn't match Neo Turf Masters (JUE) (M2)

Neo Turf Masters.ngp 452F94AF
Neo Turf Masters_2.ngp 452F94AF
Neo Turf Masters_3.ngp 452F94AF
Neo Turf Masters_4.ngp 452F94AF

8A88C50F - MATCHES Pachi-Slot Aruze Oukoku Pocket - Oohanabi (J) !

Pachi-Slot Aruze Oukoku Pocket - Daihanabi.ngp 8A88C50F
Pachi-Slot Aruze Oukoku Pocket - Daihanabi_2.ngp 8A88C50F
Pachi-Slot Aruze Oukoku Pocket - Daihanabi_3.ngp 8A88C50F
Pachi-Slot Aruze Oukoku Pocket - Daihanabi_4.ngp 8A88C50F

21E8CC15 - Doesn't match Pac-Man (JUE) (M2)

Pac-Man.ngp 4BC781BE
Pac-Man_2.ngp 4BC781BE
Pac-Man_3.ngp 4BC781BE
Pac-Man_4.ngp 4BC781BE

D8590B96 - MATCHES Pocket Tennis Color - Pocket Sports Series (JUE) (M2) !

Pocket Tennis Color.ngp D8590B96
Pocket Tennis Color_2.ngp D8590B96
Pocket Tennis Color_3.ngp D8590B96
Pocket Tennis Color_4.ngp D8590B96

C94B173A, E69EAE3E - Doesn't match Puzzle Bobble Mini (JE) (v1.09) neither Puzzle Bobble Mini (JE) (v1.10)

Puzzle Bobble Mini.ngp 55CBBB10
Puzzle Bobble Mini_2.ngp 55CBBB10
Puzzle Bobble Mini_3.ngp 55CBBB10
Puzzle Bobble Mini_4.ngp 55CBBB10

E2A09BB7 - doesn't match Puzzle Link 2 (UE)

Puzzle Link 2.ngp 6BDDC9C2
Puzzle Link 2_2.ngp 6BDDC9C2
Puzzle Link 2_3.ngp 6BDDC9C2
Puzzle Link 2_4.ngp 6BDDC9C2

FE95938C - doesn't match Puzzle Link (E)

Puzzle Link.ngp 812025DE
Puzzle Link_2.ngp 812025DE
Puzzle Link_3.ngp 812025DE
Puzzle Link_4.ngp 812025DE

4F7FB156 - Doesn't match Samurai Shodown! 2 - Pocket Fighting Series (JUE) (M2)

Samurai Showdown 2.ngp 423C2D5C
Samurai Showdown 2_2.ngp 423C2D5C
Samurai Showdown 2_3.ngp 423C2D5C
Samurai Showdown 2_4.ngp 423C2D5C

356F0849 - MATCHES Sonic the Hedgehog - Pocket Adventure (JUE) !

Sonic Pocket Adventure.ngp 356F0849
Sonic Pocket Adventure_2.ngp 356F0849
Sonic Pocket Adventure_3.ngp 356F0849
Sonic Pocket Adventure_4.ngp 356F0849

Re: Help with Neo Geo Pocket Color REDUMPS \ geezup on 17th April 2008, 23:46 wrote:

GoodNGPx results:
You have 8 of 241 known SNK NeoGeo Pocket/Pocket Color (1.00) ROMS
Dark Arms - Beast Buster 1999 (JUE) [h1]
Dive Alert - Becky's Version (UE)
Fatal Fury F-Contact (JUE) [!] King of Fighters R-2 (JUE) [a1][!]
Metal Slug - 1st Mission (JUE) [a2]
Pachisuro Aruze Oogoku Ohanabi (J) [!]
Pocket Tennis Color (JUE) [!]
Sonic the Hedgehog - Pocket Adventure (JUE) [!]

Re: Help with Neo Geo Pocket Color REDUMPS \ Yakushi~Kabuto on 18th April 2008, 05:54 wrote:
I think that the pocketlinker dumps the saves part too, check that or clean the dump.
Are you sure about this? Does is dump saves separately or along with the rom? Do NGPX carts use ROMs or EPROM/FLASH,etc?

At any rate I'd advice geezup to NEVER edit the dumps, or they won't be good anymore. I'd rather analyse the code myself and find out the difference. But from the looks of it, it's just cowering database is total crap.

@geezup, could you make a scan of a NGP PCB (one game with save support) so we can see if it uses SRAM?

Re: Help with Neo Geo Pocket Color REDUMPS \ geezup on 18th April 2008, 10:54 wrote:

Ok, we got it. ElBarto is right.

Check Dark Arms CRCs with saved game, and initialized. The initialized one, now matches the one in GoodCrap. I'll redump the rest later after initializing them from options menu.

DARK ARMS INITIALIZED.ngp 6F353F34
DARK ARMS INITIALIZED_2.ngp 6F353F34
DARK ARMS INITIALIZED_3.ngp 6F353F34
DARK ARMS INITIALIZED_4.ngp 6F353F34
DARK ARMS INITIALIZED_5.ngp 6F353F34
DARK ARMS INITIALIZED_6.ngp 6F353F34

DARK ARMS WITH SAVED GAME.ngp F2D54359 --> BAD
DARK ARMS WITH SAVED GAME_2.ngp FD70EB3A
DARK ARMS WITH SAVED GAME_3.ngp FD70EB3A
DARK ARMS WITH SAVED GAME_4.ngp FD70EB3A
DARK ARMS WITH SAVED GAME_5.ngp FD70EB3A
DARK ARMS WITH SAVED GAME_6.ngp FD70EB3A

See pic of PCB attached.

Re: Help with Neo Geo Pocket Color REDUMPS \ Yakushi~Kabuto on 18th April 2008, 12:01 wrote:

Hummm :s

Seems to be flash memory, so the save is likely flashed into it.
Now the question is: Is initialized rom image identical to factory sealed image?
The only way to know that is to buy some factory sealed carts of course.

For instance I know an initialized FDS disk image is NOT 1:1 identical to factory sealed disk image.

Re: Help with Neo Geo Pocket Color REDUMPS \ geezup on 18th April 2008, 12:39 wrote:

yep... unfortunately i don't have any sealed game :cry:

But i guess it could be the same. Disks are always more susceptible to changes than flash memory. Unless there is some data initially in that flash. If it comes blank, there should be no difference.

Re: Help with Neo Geo Pocket Color REDUMPS \ kazumi213 on 18th April 2008, 15:08 wrote:

I don't know anything about NGPx ROMs, but if your specific save data was causing the problem, how is it possible that your first dump matched

Dark Arms - Beast Buster 1999 (JUE) [h1]

according to GoodNGPx? Both dumps had *exactly* same save data?

(This seems to be happening to "Metal Slug - 1st Mission (JUE) [a2]" too)

Also, I would like to know how the dump is being "initialized": is there a clear block of data becoming padded to 00s or FFs after initializing? Could the dump work with such block removed? Can you find the block (if any) in the initially matching dumps? Is it due to them not having user save data?

Re: Help with Neo Geo Pocket Color REDUMPS \ geezup on 18th April 2008, 17:36 wrote:

Something interesting about Metal Slug:

METAL_SLUG_CHANGED_OPTIONS.ngp B286B1D6 -> seems bad
METAL_SLUG_CHANGED_OPTIONS_2.ngp 3A0284B7
METAL_SLUG_CHANGED_OPTIONS_3.ngp 3A0284B7
METAL_SLUG_CHANGED_OPTIONS_4.ngp 3A0284B7

Previous ones were :

Metal Slug - 1s Mission.ngp F8B1C5FE
Metal Slug - 1s Mission_2.ngp F8B1C5FE
Metal Slug - 1s Mission_3.ngp F8B1C5FE
Metal Slug - 1s Mission_4.ngp F8B1C5FE

What i changed were the game options: difficulty leves, lives and music :)

MS doesn't have an initialize option, and "remembers" settings, so they are saved somewhere.

So i would say, all [aX] in GoodNGPx are crap. We can get a ton of different Metal Slug dumps by simply playing around with game options. I would say all games that have the "initialize" option will match factory sealed ones, but not the rest, like Metal Slug (who knows what were the initial options for the game)

Just tried Metal Slug with NeoPop, and keeps the changes i made correctly.

About Dark Arms - Beast Buster 1999 (JUE) [h1] matching my initial dump, it can be caused by choosing the default character name. There is a skull where you can save at the very begining, so, there are many chances that everything was like that :) I don't remember. As you see, with the new changes, using my nick for the character name, it doesn't match anymore.

See attached pics to see all diffs in both files for Mslug and Dark Arms (note my nik in the saved gamed in this one):

Re: Help with Neo Geo Pocket Color REDUMPS \ Yakushi~Kabuto on 18th April 2008, 20:33 wrote:
So i would say, all [aX] in GoodNGPx are crap. We can get a ton of different Metal Slug dumps by simply playing around with game options.
I agree, they're bad dumps with random settings saved back into flash memory.

I would say all games that have the "initialize" option will match factory sealed ones, but not the rest, like Metal Slug (who knows what were the initial options for the game)
I wouldn't be too sure. I am too lazy to search right now, but I posted somewhere the small byte differences between an initialized "zelda 1" disk (FDS) and a factory sealed disk. The difference is very small but it does exist. Chances are it could happen for NGP too, the only way to tell for sure is thro trial, by dumping factory sealed carts :cry: , the only dumps that will be sure to be correct are those who don't write back into memory, if any exists.

BTW, should we make this public? Maybe some people out there can help on the matter.

Re: Help with Neo Geo Pocket Color REDUMPS \ michal99 on 18th April 2008, 20:59 wrote:
I agree, they're bad dumps with random settings saved back into flash memory.

I wouldn't be too sure. I am too lazy to search right now, but I posted somewhere the small byte differences between an initialized "zelda 1" disk (FDS) and a factory sealed disk. The difference is very small but it does exist. Chances are it could happen for NGP too, the only way to tell for sure is thro trial, by dumping factory sealed carts :cry: , the only dumps that will be sure to be correct are those who don't write back into memory, if any exists.

BTW, should we make this public? Maybe some people out there can help on the matter.
The NGP carts cost a few $ and are new and sealed last time I saw some on Play-asia.com. I think that should not be a problem, the only problem is the dumper unit.

Re: Help with Neo Geo Pocket Color REDUMPS \ geezup on 18th April 2008, 21:49 wrote:

I have the dumper (costed 110GBP shipped :O)...

BTW, if you are interested in getting one of those brand new SWCDX2 + Disk Dual, FFE stills sell them ;) Brand new boxed... works great !

I'm still waiting a parcel with 10 NGPC games i bought from that seller back in Christmas. Luckily i got my cash back from paypal. So beware... after examining their feedback, tons of negatives from foreigners. So i would say it's only secure in the U.S. Has other nicks, so stay away from sellers from Tittusville, Florida.

Same seller: videogameswholesale, gameliquidation, maybe more

I would make it public. Maybe someone is willing to donate some sealed carts ? Or maybe there is someone else out there with the dumper and luckily one of my 15 games, but factory sealed. We have nothing to lose.

Re: Help with Neo Geo Pocket Color REDUMPS \ geezup on 18th April 2008, 22:00 wrote:

i'm zeroing and FFing those setting on Mslug and trying them on emu.

Zeriong sets options to kids level, 0 lives, and music 0... doesn't look like that would be the default settings :cry: FFing, inserts trash for those values but they can be changed to good ones from the options menu.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
root
Site Admin

Re: Help with Neo Geo Pocket Color REDUMPS

Post by root »

Rif: 2099-2 Re: Help with Neo Geo Pocket Color REDUMPS \ kazumi213 on 18th April 2008, 22:21 wrote:

Just a stupid test: since Dark Arms' save data block got padded with 00s after initialization, what happens when you pad to 00s MS in the range 0x1E0004 to 0x1E00FF? Still loads? Any default options?

Re: Help with Neo Geo Pocket Color REDUMPS \ geezup on 18th April 2008, 22:28 wrote:

yep, works, but with this options:

Level: kids
Key set: shot A, jump B
Retry: 0
Music: 0

I doubt those are the default settings :cry:

Re: Help with Neo Geo Pocket Color REDUMPS \ geezup on 18th April 2008, 23:04 wrote:

More interesting findigns for Metal Slug :)

I zeroed the offset that were initialized in Dark Arms (that is 1D0000-1D01FF), and a new menu option show up :P S-Continue that lets you choose your character (now you can choose a girl) :)

So i guess we are in the save area...

Re: Help with Neo Geo Pocket Color REDUMPS \ geezup on 18th April 2008, 23:15 wrote:

FUCKING GREAT !

I think i got it !

Check hex data in picture, and check the resulting dump runing for first time in NeoPop. I guess that looks pretty much like a factory sealed cart, default options, don't you think so ?

Edit: now check the file neopop creates in the battery folder. I think it holds all this kind of data, emulating the save area. It's the 3rd picture.

That matches the 1D0000-1D00FF... wonder what's 1D0100-1D01FF then...

Edit again: sorry, i'm falling asleep and just realized i'm working on different offsets for Dark Arms, and Metal Slug !! XD I think they have differnt flash size. While Dark arms "interesting stuff" starts in 1D0000, in Metal Slug it is in 1E0000 !

LAST EFFORT BEFORE GOING TO BED :P

Check the new picture, with the save areas zeroed. All run perfectly and with no save states at all. Setting that area to FF also works great in Metal Slug, with the initial settings show in the attached picture. I messed it all up before, and was getting garbled text.

Re: Help with Neo Geo Pocket Color REDUMPS \ michal99 on 19th April 2008, 09:59 wrote:
I'm still waiting a parcel with 10 NGPC games i bought from that seller back in Christmas. Luckily i got my cash back from paypal. So beware... after examining their feedback, tons of negatives from foreigners. So i would say it's only secure in the U.S. Has other nicks, so stay away from sellers from Tittusville, Florida.

Same seller: videogameswholesale, gameliquidation, maybe more
Yes I know about him, he is kind of retard I would say.

Here http://moeroshop.net/index.php?main_pag ... Path=197_6 is a shop and they have a lot of carts. Its not that cheap, but they are in France at least.

Re: Help with Neo Geo Pocket Color REDUMPS \ geezup on 19th April 2008, 10:11 wrote:

yep, moeroshop is great. We bought a huge lot of Dreamcast stuff a few month ago. Fast and reliable. Cheap if you get many things.

But i don't thnik those carts are new... it's hard to say if a cart is really factory sealed and never used. Specially if they come loose like the ones at moeroshop :cry:

I think we just need ONE sealed cart, and we will be able to reproduce the rest with the help of NeoPop save file and hex editing.

Re: Help with Neo Geo Pocket Color REDUMPS \ kazumi213 on 19th April 2008, 11:41 wrote:

Just to be sure: on your last pic, Dark Arms and Neo Turf "untouched" are the resulting dumps you get when you initialize the save data before dumping, isn't it?

Regarding Metal Slug, I told you to zero from 0x1E0004 to 0x1E00FF (zeroing the "1TEM" string feels too agressive to me). Did you get that strange "kids" level setting when zeroing that range or 0x1D0000-0x1D00FF by mistake?

Re: Help with Neo Geo Pocket Color REDUMPS \ geezup on 19th April 2008, 14:06 wrote:
Just to be sure: on your last pic, Dark Arms and Neo Turf "untouched" are the resulting dumps you get when you initialize the save data before dumping, isn't it?
Great, matches perfectly, with Dark Arms. By the way, Dark Arms in the pics is worng. Save offset goes from 1D0000 to 1D0200 so it's sthe same size as the one from NeoPop. So zeroing the save makes the dump exactly as the resulting from dumping the initialized cart.

About, Turf Masters, seems i zeroed too much :P If you see the last pic (that's the save file from NeoPop, minus the first line not present in the cart dump), there are like different sections of data, that may be to keep records for different courses. So i guess that would be the real initial data in a factory sealed cart.

If we simply replace the save part with the battery file created by Neo Pop after initializing the game, it matches perfectly an initialized dumped cart.

So i guess we should consider good dumps those initialized, and for those that cannot be initialized from the game options, we should study further, current dumps, new dumps, and save file created by NeoPop.

What do you guys think ?
Regarding Metal Slug, I told you to zero from 0x1E0004 to 0x1E00FF (zeroing the "1TEM" string feels too agressive to me). Did you get that strange "kids" level setting when zeroing that range or 0x1D0000-0x1D00FF by mistake?
Nah, when i zeroed 0x1D0000-0x1D00FF i got the garbled text. I was mixing offsets between both dumps, only when i realized it was wrong i got the correct default settings. Gonna redump those carts initializeng them from the options menu. I didn't test that last night, but i'm sure they will match.

Results in a few minutes (read first quote).

Re: Help with Neo Geo Pocket Color REDUMPS \ geezup on 21st April 2008, 22:34 wrote:

hopefully good news.

I think i found a sealed Neo Turf Masters for just 10 euro in a buy/sell forum over here. So asked the guy to confirm it is sealed (he says so in the forum post), and 'll get it if so. Will try to get some B/W NPG games too.

Will update when there are more news.

Cheers.

Re: Help with Neo Geo Pocket Color REDUMPS \ geezup on 22nd April 2008, 19:46 wrote:

ok, Turf Masters brand new is on the way ;) Unsealed, but the guy swears he did never used it, unselaed himself, but never had a NGP so it's never been inside a console.

Hope this will be good to find out the diffs and reproduce original sealed carts dumps.

I'll start redumping all games than can be initialized from the menu, including this one, and let you know about the new cart when it arrives, hopefully by monday next week.

Cheers!

Re: Help with Neo Geo Pocket Color REDUMPS \ geezup on 2nd May 2008, 11:10 wrote:

Just received Pocket Tennis Color and Neo Turf Masters.

Dumped both, and while Pocket Tennis matches an initialized cart, Neo Turf Masters doesn't (all saved area is FFed). After initializing the unused cart dump in NeoPop, save area matches the initialized dump one.

I uploaded it to the FTP so you can take a look at it.
REMOVED FROM PUBLIC POST
So it seems we are gonna need to study this closer, or find unused carts for all dumps, quite hard :cry:

Ideas?

Re: Help with Neo Geo Pocket Color REDUMPS \ geezup on 2nd May 2008, 19:04 wrote:

Pocket Tennis save area diffs.

For some reason i suspect this one was indeed used... notice the zeroed area there...

File named 1.ngp is another dump with a full tournament saved game. The other saved game was just one round passed in the same tournament. Small diffs as you see.

Re: Help with Neo Geo Pocket Color REDUMPS \ Yakushi~Kabuto on 2nd May 2008, 19:59 wrote:

Were all the carts truely factory sealed? I would never trust a seller who just promise he never used it, they'd promise anything to sell. If there is no seal, it's safer to consider it not sealed.

The only solution to get perfect dumps is to buy and redump all sealed carts, which would be of course extremely expensive... =/

Let's make thread public and wait a generous donator. :lol:

Re: Help with Neo Geo Pocket Color REDUMPS \ geezup on 2nd May 2008, 20:07 wrote:

yep, i know that. He said he unsealed himself, but never tried them cause he had no NGPC console. So i got them unsealed.

I have my doubts about Pocket Tennis, but i believe Neo Turf Masters was never used. See the diffs between the "never used" cart and the initialized one.

Go ahead, make it public, and let's cross fingers :)
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
herocopter

Post by herocopter »

Is there a way to determine which games were dumped from sealed carts, if at all possible these days?

After scanning a few no-intro dat roms, I've noticed that some games appear to have pre-initialized save data in the flash area. Mostly can't determine yet if some were factory shipped with dummy save or turned on/off once or twice.

The biggest one found so far is:

Last Blade, The - Beyond the Destiny (USA, Europe)
- Examine 1F0000 area and you will see 8 save games. Haven't actually dissected to see what the values mean but it's clearly used.

Bakumatsu Rouman Tokubetsu Hen - Gekka no Kenshi - Tsuki ni Saku Hana, Chiri Yuku Hana (Japan)
- Examine 1F0000 area and there is just 1 game. More curiously the 1F00F0 area is blank, unlike its USA / Europe dump. Unsure if default'd that way. But if you save options like 128+ times, it will flash erase 1F0000 block with FF and write a new save at 1F0000.

Just thought it'd be worth notating, even if this thread is really old but relevant.
omonim2007
Datter

Post by omonim2007 »

herocopter wrote: 11 Apr 2019 01:40 Is there a way to determine which games were dumped from sealed carts, if at all possible these days?

After scanning a few no-intro dat roms, I've noticed that some games appear to have pre-initialized save data in the flash area. Mostly can't determine yet if some were factory shipped with dummy save or turned on/off once or twice.

The biggest one found so far is:

Last Blade, The - Beyond the Destiny (USA, Europe)
- Examine 1F0000 area and you will see 8 save games. Haven't actually dissected to see what the values mean but it's clearly used.

Bakumatsu Rouman Tokubetsu Hen - Gekka no Kenshi - Tsuki ni Saku Hana, Chiri Yuku Hana (Japan)
- Examine 1F0000 area and there is just 1 game. More curiously the 1F00F0 area is blank, unlike its USA / Europe dump. Unsure if default'd that way. But if you save options like 128+ times, it will flash erase 1F0000 block with FF and write a new save at 1F0000.

Just thought it'd be worth notating, even if this thread is really old but relevant.
Yes that is how real things are going on ))

Now we have just Third Party hash info for those two games. That's mean we can't trust this info 100%.
After some redumps appear we'll change a status to Bad or Verified.