doing some definitions?

General No-Intro related discussions.
xuom2
High Council

doing some definitions?

Post by xuom2 »

hi, time ago I did a post (viewtopic.php?p=26001#p26001) with some definitions (homebrew/pirate/beta/proto/aftermarket/unlicensed/etc.) and for each one (imo) what should go in DB and what should go (by default) in datfile.

you all are more expert than me: who has time, passion and fluent English to start with some definitive document about this?

you can use that post as a starting point, using that structure and changing the content, or take "inspiration" and examples from previous posts:

viewtopic.php?f=40&t=4439
viewtopic.php?f=7&t=3786
viewtopic.php?f=7&t=4534&start=15
viewtopic.php?f=6&t=3630&start=15
viewtopic.php?f=8&t=2919
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=2973
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=3047
viewtopic.php?f=6&t=3344
viewtopic.php?f=18&t=4575
viewtopic.php?f=8&t=2317
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=3012
viewtopic.php?p=21234#p21234

it's important to start defining things. even if it's simply "the no-intro custom definition of pirate", we should start to set up our glossary, then mark stuff correctly on DB and then decide which tags are in datfiles by default or not (and leave the rest for the filters).
Hiccup
Datter

Re: doing some definitions?

Post by Hiccup »

These are what I understand the following terms to mean:
Unlicensed
Released without the approval of the platform-holder. Doesn't include betas or protos (but maybe there are exceptions to this?).

Pirate
Unlicensed commercially-distributed game using intellecual property without permission.

Aftermarket
Unlicensed game that was released after the system was discontinued.

Homebrew
Unlicensed non-commercial game.

Beta
Unreleased version of a released licensed game.

Proto
Unreleased game.
nitro322

Post by nitro322 »

I think these definitions look good. Few thoughts for consideration:

Proto - I suggest calling this Prototype for clarity rather than abbreviating it, unless there's some good reason to do so

Aftermarket - should clarify that these are also commercially-distributed, to distinguish from Homebrew

Beta - does this really only apply to licensed games? I'd imagine there are betas of unlicensed games - are those excluded?

Unlicensed - technically every one of these categories is unlicensed. Maybe add a qualifier that this is a catch-all bucket if a more specific category doesn't apply? Eg., "Game released without approval of the platform-holder. Doesn't include betas or prototypes. Use Pirate, Aftermarket, or Homebrew if more appropriate."
Bumpfi
Datter

Post by Bumpfi »

Looks good to me what hiccup wrote
Tauwasser
Datter

Post by Tauwasser »

List of Hiccup with nitro322's additions looks good to me with a clarification w.r.t. Unlicensed games.
I think the intention of Hiccup was that betas/prototypes of licensed games are not counted towards unlicensed, even though they are typically released without the approval of the platform holder. Betas/prototypes of games that were not licensed to begin with are classified as unlicensed.
Unlicensed
Released without the approval of the platform holder. Does not include beta or prototype versions of licensed games.

Pirate
Unlicensed commercially distributed game using intellectual property without permission.

Aftermarket
Unlicensed game that was commercially released after the system was discontinued.

Homebrew
Unlicensed non-commercial game.

Beta
Unreleased version of a released game.

Prototype
Unreleased game.
Hiccup
Datter

Post by Hiccup »

I guess that could work. Although it might be hard to tell if a game was approved by the platform holder. Maybe they only get submitted for approval further in to development? It might have to be based on if the developer had previous titles approved.