Wonder Boy in Monster World (USA, Europe) inconsistency

General No-Intro related discussions.
nitro322

Wonder Boy in Monster World (USA, Europe) inconsistency

Post by nitro322 »

Hi. I'm trying to understand what's going on with the Wonder Boy in Monster World (USA, Europe) entry (https://datomatic.no-intro.org/index.ph ... =32&n=1549). It seems there are two different dumps listed there - one (the more common one) tagged with a \[b\], and a less common one that's not and seems to be authoritative; at least, the less common one is all that's included in the DAT file.

I'm guessing the \[b\] means bad dump, but it looks like that dump comes from multiple different sources, including dumping via retrode, a Sega CD Transfer Cable (that one was new to me), and Genesis Mini extraction. Since these come (as far as I can tell) from official sources and seem to be complete dumps themselves, which I'm judging based on the multitude of submissions and different dumping processes, does that really count as a bad dump? or would be it be a different version/clone?

Not really trying to make a case for it, would just like to understand the rationale. I stumbled upon this while trying to verify my own Genesis collection, which has Wonder Boy in Monster World extracted from my Genesis Mini, but it's the \[b\] version that's not included in the DAT file. Since my dump seems to be a known and complete dump from the source, it seems like that should validate.

Edit: Just noticed Shining Force (USA) (https://datomatic.no-intro.org/index.ph ... =32&n=1174) is a similar story. In this case, my ROM was extracted from Sonic's Ultimate Genesis Collection for the 360.
omonim2007
Datter

Re: Wonder Boy in Monster World (USA, Europe) inconsistency

Post by omonim2007 »

As you can see in attached PCB picture (sunbeam's redump entry) there is only one chip (8 Mbit one, we're using the rule of division/multiplication the capacity by 2). So the correct ROM size is 8 Mbit (1,048,576 bytes). The second file (marked as bad, 786,432 bytes) is a trimmed version of original digital copy.

If somebody find out a cart which stores 2 chips inside and has an another PCB version (something like 512k + 256k) we'll fix this issue.

So after all "another most common file" is just a trimmed version of the original digital copy.
rwebster

Re: Wonder Boy in Monster World (USA, Europe) inconsistency

Post by rwebster »

nitro322 wrote: 20 Apr 2021 02:12 Hi. I'm trying to understand what's going on with the Wonder Boy in Monster World (USA, Europe) entry (https://datomatic.no-intro.org/index.ph ... =32&n=1549). It seems there are two different dumps listed there - one (the more common one) tagged with a \[b\], and a less common one that's not and seems to be authoritative; at least, the less common one is all that's included in the DAT file.

I'm guessing the \[b\] means bad dump, but it looks like that dump comes from multiple different sources, including dumping via retrode, a Sega CD Transfer Cable (that one was new to me), and Genesis Mini extraction. Since these come (as far as I can tell) from official sources and seem to be complete dumps themselves, which I'm judging based on the multitude of submissions and different dumping processes, does that really count as a bad dump? or would be it be a different version/clone?

Not really trying to make a case for it, would just like to understand the rationale. I stumbled upon this while trying to verify my own Genesis collection, which has Wonder Boy in Monster World extracted from my Genesis Mini, but it's the \[b\] version that's not included in the DAT file. Since my dump seems to be a known and complete dump from the source, it seems like that should validate.

Edit: Just noticed Shining Force (USA) (https://datomatic.no-intro.org/index.ph ... =32&n=1174) is a similar story. In this case, my ROM was extracted from Sonic's Ultimate Genesis Collection for the 360.
The ROM files are trimmed (does not affect play). I found out the same thing dumping my Mega Drive Mini. So they're considered bad dumps for that reason. Not matching the original cartridge.