[Switch] Another question about properly datting NSPs

General No-Intro related discussions.
wfeltmate

[Switch] Another question about properly datting NSPs

Post by wfeltmate »

This started off as a reply in the previous question thread I wrote, but this grew larger and larger to the point where it seems to deserve a new thread. ^^

I've been following through the guide for dumping digital titles (and read a helpful thread from back in Jan. that was helpful), but it seems to be written with the assumption that the person has datting rights available to them on the DoM. As such, I think I am a little confused on a couple small details.

The first is the purpose of the txt file generated for all the .nca files. I was able to generate all but two of them. For these two (one is an .nca in the update for Axiom Verge and the other one is in the update for Chocobo's Mystery Dungeon EVERY BUDDY!), hactool seems to error out and generates an empty txt file. The SHA-256 hash still matches, and nxdumptool generates a match while dumping, so I assume the files are good, and I still datted all the data for them.

The confusion, however, is that after being told to generate all of these txt files, they are never mentioned again in the guide. This leads to my second confusion where I am starting to think that I should be looking in each of these txt files to find the title idea for each .nca and included it with the size and hashes?

Additionally, in the optional section of gathering dump info, it tells us to check the 100bytes of data starting at 0x004 in the ticket to see if it is a stripped personalized ticket or an untouched common ticket. Yet, this isn't mentioned again. Is there a purpose to this? (I would assume yes and I don't know since I lack datting rights haha).

As well, and this may have changed in the versions of hactool (if any) released since the guide was written, but if you look in the info.txt for the program .nca file, it already lists both the encrypted and decrypted titlekeys, simplifying the optional process (as I presently understand it).

On the topic of the guide, I might suggest an update to the Windows copy command. Going solely based on how nxdumptool made the split files for me, each time it split the files for me, it made files simply named 00, 01, 02, etc. The resulting copy command for me was:

Code: Select all

copy /b 00+01+... game.nsp
wfeltmate

Re: [Switch] Another question about properly datting NSPs

Post by wfeltmate »

Ooohhh. I think part of it suddenly dawned on me.\

Even when using nxdumptool, should I be recording the ticket filename as [lowercase_rights_id]-stripped.tik or [lowercase_rights_id]-cetk.tik and collecting its filesize and hashes?
Hiccup
Datter

Post by Hiccup »

To be honest, that guide needs to be updated a lot. Most of the stuff it asks you do to should instead be automated using a provided script.
wfeltmate

Post by wfeltmate »

Scripts are presently beyond me, but now that I understand the manual way of doing all that, I'd be happy to help out by writing an updated guide.

I did come across a simple .bat script written by another user (it was included in the Jan post I mentioned) that could be used for batch extraction of nsp files, handling both the hactool and nstool commands automatically. I haven't tested it myself yet, but I read through the code and it seems simple and safe enough.