Master System games in Game Gear DAT?

General No-Intro related discussions.
aburnett

Master System games in Game Gear DAT?

Post by aburnett »

I don't know if this is OK, but I found a few Master System games in the Game Gear standard DAT:

Castle of Illusion Starring Mickey Mouse (USA, Europe, Brazil)
Excellent Dizzy Collection, The (Europe)
Fantastic Dizzy (USA, Europe) (En,Fr,De,Es,It)
Olympic Gold (Japan, USA, Brazil) (En,Fr,De,Es,It,Nl,Pt,Sv)
OutRun Europa (USA)
Predator 2 (USA, Europe)
Prince of Persia (USA, Europe)
R.C. Grand Prix (USA)
Super Kick Off (Europe) (En,Fr,De,Es,It,Nl,Pt,Sv)
WWF Wrestlemania - Steel Cage Challenge (USA, Europe)
omonim2007
Datter

Re: Master System games in Game Gear DAT?

Post by omonim2007 »

This is OK, you meant some GG ROMs are working on emulator for another system (SMS).

Indeed some games has compatibility (in software mode), but they produced physically in the form of GG cart.
You can check every game from the list at https://www.smspower.org

SMS and GameGear consoles both has very similar hardware.
KingMike

Re: Master System games in Game Gear DAT?

Post by KingMike »

Indeed that is normal.
Game Gear had a built-in SMS compatibility mode, and some games that were marketed and sold as Game Gear games (including the cart) were actually using the backwards-compatibility mode. They are physical Game Gear carts but with one of the pins on the connector wired to run the game in SMS mode.
(probably the most significant differences is that while GG mode supports a higher color depth, it also zooms the screen display to only show a centered portion of the game screen.
Conversely in SMS mode, the console will display the entire SMS video screen, though in a somewhat compressed form.

For comparison, there is one Mega Drive game which is similarly wired to run the game in the console's backwards compatibility (SMS) mode: Phantasy Star Fukkokuban. (I think that was the name)
Though I don't know how that game is cataloged in the DATs.