Runtime patches used in VC titles / other official ROMsets

General No-Intro related discussions.
dreimer

Runtime patches used in VC titles / other official ROMsets

Post by dreimer »

Heeey and good morning. I have a question I am wondering about quite a while now.

When I tinkered with all kinds of VC releases in the past I often stumbled upon patches applied on runtime. Sometimes even with nice text explainations what these are for. Question now is... are these part of the extracted ROM and should be applied or not. Right now we extract the ROM file on file base as is and dat these if they are any different. But in the way we extract them they are never used thx to the patches some games have included in another file.
This even goes so far that I was asked if my Switch RAM dump of Seiken Densetsu 1/2/3 is really the way to go if no file based extraction is avalable to verify the included file is 100% the same aka unpatched. Which ROM is the true shipped one? The patched or the not patched one? What do you think about it?
But think about one fact before reply. Mario 3D all-stars consists of a Japanese Shindou Edition N64 ROM and patches for the other languages. So in theory it just consists ONE ROM for us right now, right?
Hiccup
Datter

Re: Runtime patches used in VC titles / other official ROMsets

Post by Hiccup »

I think the patched version could be datted separately, but if there is a choice between patched and unpatched, the unpatched should be chosen, as it'd be closer to the original cart-based ROM.