Should No-Intro catalogue WonderSwan (Color) boot EEPROMs?

General No-Intro related discussions.
Screwtape

Should No-Intro catalogue WonderSwan (Color) boot EEPROMs?

Post by Screwtape »

For those unfamiliar with the system:

- the WS contains a boot ROM (which No-Intro catalogues as the BIOS), like so many other consoles do
- the WS contains a small amount of non-volatile storage (an EEPROM), much like the original Nintendo DS: if you hold Start at bootup, the boot ROM will ask you for your name and date of birth (and blood type, Because Japan), and some games will put your name into the game, or do a special thing if it's your birthday, etc. etc.

However, the EEPROM can *also* store a custom boot animation. I believe there were certain promotional kiosks from which you could get a special boot animation, and there are third-party tools you can use to create your own, but some special branded WS units shipped with a brand-appropriate boot animation already programmed in. For example, there was a One Piece branded WS that displayed the One Piece logo at boot up - slightly cropped on the actual display, but with the cropped parts actually printed on the bezel.

Does this sound like the sort of thing No-Intro would be interested in cataloguing and preserving?
Hiccup
Datter

Re: Should No-Intro catalogue WonderSwan (Color) boot EEPROMs?

Post by Hiccup »

I think this is something No-Intro should be preserving.
sCZther
Datter

Post by sCZther »

Yep, I also think so. It probably doesn't need it's own dat and can be added to the main one, like bootroms for game boy. I will be submitting some soon.
sCZther
Datter

Post by sCZther »

I posted some hashes for the first two dumps in my New Dumps thread.