Xbox 360 digital title preservation

General No-Intro related discussions.
pelago

Xbox 360 digital title preservation

Post by pelago »

Is Xbox 360 digital (e.g. XBLA, Games On Demand, DLC, updates) preservation within scope for no-intro?
Hiccup
Datter

Re: Xbox 360 digital title preservation

Post by Hiccup »

Yes and there's already a dat for it. But I don't think it has been updated for a while.
pelago

Post by pelago »

Thanks, I found the DAT, that's great.

I don't see a dumping guide on the wiki, unless I've overlooked one. It'd be good if "we" could dump/verify ourselves, rather than rely on the scene releases.

I believe the console ID and user ID are embedded in the downloads, so everyone who downloads a title will get a slightly different file.
Hiccup
Datter

Post by Hiccup »

Indeed it would be good to get some dumps made by trusted users. It would be good to test how the "same" file on different consoles differs. If there are just some ID fields that differ, they could be 00'd or FF'd out and the differing data can optionally be added to the comment of the dump. That's how its done in most other dats.

I don't really know much about the Xbox 360, but I think it may just be matter of copying the relevant file(s) from the filesystem using homebrew tools.
Resistiv

Post by Resistiv »

Yes, it looks like you can indeed just copy over files from a hard drive using something like FATXplorer, however the files are often signed differently in their headers, which produces differing hashes. Here's looking at one dump, comparing my dump (left) and the scene dump in the dat (right) of N+ (World) (XBLA). Everything after the highlighted byte is matching in the attached image. Of course, more samples will be needed for decisive action, but it seems that the first 568 bytes (0x238) can be skipped when hashing.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
RetroGamer
Dumper

Post by RetroGamer »

Back in 2012 and 2013 i dowloaded from Marketplace 100's of demos and dumped them to add the verifications to DoM. I Also discovered some new dumps...

It was many years ago but, if i recall well, the X-Box 360 scene releases (and the 360 no-intro dat) were a mess because some groups released betas (PNET) as final releases, the early scene releases were intact and in later releases they zeroed the "Console ID" bytes in the beggining of the file)... So that means that DB is inconsitent and it should have a standard (i talked about this with xuom2 back in the day...)

I never understood the "Console ID" concept but i think everyone who downloaded from Marketplace get the same file.

It's a shame that there weren't more dedicated dumpers of this digital games because it was very easy to dump and now, maybe, they are all gone...
pelago

Post by pelago »

Well, the Indie games are no longer there, but the Arcade and Games on Demand stuff still is. Except for a few things that have been delisted. So it's not too late yet for the majority of stuff to be properly preserved.
layzee

Post by layzee »

I notice that most of the Xbox 360 DLC is marked as (World). For example, Lost Odyssey has three DLC:

Lost Odyssey - Double Bonus Pack (World) (Addon)
Lost Odyssey - Dungeon Pack - Seeker of the Deep! (World) (Addon)
Lost Odyssey - Triple Bonus Pack (World) (Addon)

"World" implies that the DLC is compatible with both the English versions of Lost Odyssey (PAL and NTSC-US/Canada) and Asian versions (Japan and Asia). Is that the case?

A quick search elsewhere suggests that Xbox 360 DLC can often be region-free but not always. In some cases, even game save files can be region-free which I think is unusual.