How To Dat Wii U And 3DS "(Digital) (CDN)" Files Correctly?

General No-Intro related discussions.
AFishyGuy

How To Dat Wii U And 3DS "(Digital) (CDN)" Files Correctly?

Post by AFishyGuy »

Looking for some help in understanding how the Nintendo - Wii U (Digital) (CDN) and similarly the Nintendo - 3DS (Digital) (CDN) dats work.

For both the content is datted in small files usually sequentially named 00000001, 000000002, etc, and in the 3DS's case, a tmd file. I want to start datting eshop files that I own but I don't understand how to get then to verify with datomatic.

For example, I want to dat Breath of the Wild (and DLC's) from my Wii U. I have my folder with the code, content, and meta folders which are decrypted Wii U files if I'm not mistaken, but these files are not datted in this format.

On the 3DS side, I purchased Pokemon Crystal on the 3DS and ripped it to a cia (Standard) in godmode9, but absolutely no 3DS dat will accept that format. For that reason I keep my regular cart dump collection in .3ds format and convert to cia when needed, but when it comes to eshop only titles I'm completely lost. The 3DS dat is so much worse because they're named by titleid (eg. Cave story is 000400000009b300 which is completely useless for searching). The 3DS however has a dat named Nintendo - 3DS (Digital) which dats some of these. It has cave story which I have but it doesn't have ANY of the Pokemon games.
  • So my question for the 3DS side of things is what is the difference between the Nintendo - 3DS (Digital) dat, and the Nintendo - 3DS (Digital) (CDN).
  • Secondly for both consoles, how do I take CIA files/Wii U game folder and turn those into 00000000etc files and BACK to the "usable formats" for emulation or to reinstall to the consoles, which is something I find significantly important.
And some additional questions that are semi relevant but aren't totally necessary to the OP;
  • How to dump 3ds files from CIA files so I can continue to dump my 3DS titles, because it's been a long while since I've done that and I've had no luck searching google for "cia to 3ds tool".
  • Why is the 3DS datted as .3DS instead of CIA? From what I understand the CIA's are more "complete" in terms of data, but they can carry redundant files such as update files which bloat the collection. If anyone could correct me or expand on this I would be extremely appreciative.
  • What are these 0000000001 content files and why are they datted over any other alternatives?
Hiccup
Datter

Re: How To Dat Wii U And 3DS "(Digital) (CDN)" Files Correctly?

Post by Hiccup »

AFishyGuy wrote: 12 Apr 2019 20:26 So my question for the 3DS side of things is what is the difference between the Nintendo - 3DS (Digital) dat, and the Nintendo - 3DS (Digital) (CDN).
AFishyGuy wrote: 12 Apr 2019 20:26 What are these 0000000001 content files and why are they datted over any other alternatives?
Nintendo - 3DS (Digital) (CDN) has titles in their original format, as stored on the CDN. The Nintendo - 3DS (Digital) is made up of:
1. scene releases, which are partial CDN contents as ".3ds" (CCI - so it doesn't include the tmd or store the names of the XXXXXXXX files)
2. p2p or trusted dumps of titles in CIA format, which is a container for "on-console" format CDN contents - these can be reencrypted and have the "common" signatures added back to them to make them match the CDN downloads.

They will be merged at some point and (CDN) will have proper names.
AFishyGuy wrote: 12 Apr 2019 20:26
  • Secondly for both consoles, how do I take CIA files/Wii U game folder and turn those into 00000000etc files and BACK to the "usable formats" for emulation or to reinstall to the consoles, which is something I find significantly important.
1. You can install the Wii U CDN contents by creating a fake ticket (if it doesn't have a cetk) with the title key in. and then installing the folder containing the contents + ticket using wup installer.
2. You can install the 3DS CDN contents by creating a fake ticket (if it doesn't have a cetk) with the title key in and then making a CIA using the contents + ticket using make_cdn_cia or GodMode9, and installing that CIA using FBI.
AFishyGuy wrote: 12 Apr 2019 20:26
  • How to dump 3ds files from CIA files so I can continue to dump my 3DS titles, because it's been a long while since I've done that and I've had no luck searching google for "cia to 3ds tool".
The best way to dump your titles is to dump your ticket and then use ctrcdnfetch to get the contents from the CDN, but nearly everything is dumped (though not everything is datted yet - that is a WIP). See the undumped list for what isn't dumped:
https://wiki.no-intro.org/index.php?tit ... l_undumped

If you want, as the undumped list may be incomplete, you can check what you have installed/have tickets for against the "dumped" contents/title keys list. Tell me if you want to do that.

If you have something that was removed from the CDN, the best way to dump it is to copy the relevant sub-folder out of the NAND/SD "title" folder and then reencryping the contents + adding the common tmd signature to the end of the tmd. I don't know how to do the former, so for now the contents can just be datted as they are (and marked as bad) and reencrypted later.
  • Why is the 3DS datted as .3DS instead of CIA? From what I understand the CIA's are more "complete" in terms of data, but they can carry redundant files such as update files which bloat the collection. If anyone could correct me or expand on this I would be extremely appreciative.
The scene made scene releases as .3ds (CCI) so they could be booted by the Gateway launcher like cart dumps can (which are natively in CCI format).
CIAs of digital titles don't contain updates of any kind. They just represent a single title version (so a single tmd and a set of content files that are relevant to that tmd - not necessarily all content files for the title).
Collecter

Post by Collecter »

Recognizable 3DS DLC CND names is like my most wanted feature in no-intro, is there any ETA on this
Hiccup
Datter

Post by Hiccup »

Well I think all the "both digital and physical" stuff could be done quite quickly if title versions that are in the CDN are matched with title versions that are on carts (it seems like the "actual content" part of the contents match if the title vers do). I'll try and get that info from xuom2 / someone with a 3ds physical fullset.

As for digital-only stuff, names could be parsed from the titles we have titlekey for from their home menu names (from the SMDH files) and then corrected to match No-Intro standards afterwards. As for ones we can't decrypt, the names *could* be taken from other sources, and again corrected afterwards. So I'm not so sure about the digital-only stuff. But digital-only titles are probably less in number and some will need special naming to specify the type of title (dlc, patch, system, dsiware, virtual console)
AFishyGuy

Post by AFishyGuy »

Thank you Hiccup you were extremely helpful. I'm going to look into make_cdn_cia and ctrcdnfetch as these were exactly the tools I was looking for. I also took a look at the undumped list. Unfortunately I can't help much with that, I'd love to help but I don't have anything special on my 3DS account. :? I'm actually just looking for methods of preserving my own games and dumping my own titles and using those for personal use while verifying my collection with the 3ds dat. My understanding of 3DS dumps is much more clear now. I hope this post also helps prospective archivists out there who had the same questions!
Hiccup
Datter

Post by Hiccup »

Glad I could help.

Also, if you want to thoroughly check that you don't have any title contents or title keys that are undumped, you can copy your NAND title folder to your SD card (e.g. using GodMode9), and then create a directory listing of that folder and the Nintendo 3DS folder that's already on the sd card. And then create dectitlekeys.bin from NAND/db/ticket.db. If you want, I can parse/compare this data for you if you send it to me.