Naming of single-country Mx-releases?

General No-Intro related discussions.
root
Site Admin

Naming of single-country Mx-releases?

Post by root »

Rif: 653 Naming of single-country Mx-releases? \ BigFred on 28th June 2006, 09:32 wrote:

There are a few games that come with a multilanguage option. Normally we take the english title. However in few cases these were only released in a single country and the boxart is only available with a specific non-english title so you will search in vain for a game called as in the dats. Examples:

GBA:

Maya the Bee - Sweet Gold (E) (M5) only as

"Biene Maja - S??es Gold"

GBC:

Moorhen 3 - The Chicken Chase! (E) (M5) only as

"Moorhuhn 3 ...Es gibt Huhn!"

SMS:

The Smurfs Travel The World only as

Les Schtroumpfs autour du Monde

What title should we take for these?

===============================================

Re: Naming of single-country Mx-releases? \ Yakushi~Kabuto on 28th June 2006, 10:30 wrote:

I think they should be renamed according to their localized boxart title with a country specific code instead of (E). Then reverted to english and (E) if another euro version is found out.

Re: Naming of single-country Mx-releases? \ ElBarto on 28th June 2006, 11:05 wrote:

I agree with Cobra.
So Moorhen 3 - The Chicken Chase! (E) (M5) should be Moorhuhn 3 ...Es gibt Huhn! (G) (M5)

Re: Naming of single-country Mx-releases? \ Connie on 28th June 2006, 12:49 wrote:

I agree with the naming, but I'm not sure about the country code. For e.g.

"Maya the Bee - Sweet Gold" renamed to "Die Biene Maja - S??es Gold" (German characters to be replaced?) but the serial is AGB-BEEP-EUR Shouldn't it be NOE if it's to become (G) instead of (E)?

Re: Naming of single-country Mx-releases? \ relax on 29th June 2006, 19:49 wrote:

1) I think the countrycode should follow the internal serial (E) in these cases.
When the serial is xxxp-eur (and not xxxd-noe), the game is prepared for European release, even though in may only be released in one or a few countries. If we use (G) in these cases, one might argue that UK-only games should be given the tag (UK), which I think would create a mess.

2) I think the name of these releases should be in English, when the English name is easily available, at least for well known franchises. In the case of "Maya the Bee - Sweet Gold", you get the English title once you load the ROM, so it should be used. Also there a pan-European title "Maya the Bee - The Great Adventure" released. Maybe it's just me, but I prefer these two titles to be listed together alphabetically. I don't mind using German titles for games such as "Meine Tierpension (M2)", though.

Maya the Bee is an interesting example. It's also sold in .ch Even though the boxart is in German, the shop promotes the fact that the game is in French and Itailian.

Re: Naming of single-country Mx-releases? \ SolidSnake on 29th June 2006, 21:54 wrote:

Mhhh i cant agree! Serial is Serial. Is the Serial P so that means EURO. And the main Language of EURO is English!

Maybe there is a Serial with English Text on it and we never saw them :?

Re: Naming of single-country Mx-releases? \ xuom2 on 29th June 2006, 22:39 wrote:

the boxart posted by solid solves MAYA question: title may remain in english..

Re: Naming of single-country Mx-releases? \ Connie on 30th June 2006, 00:16 wrote:

That box art isn't relevant to the title at issue here. It's this one:

Try and find an English version of this.

Re: Naming of single-country Mx-releases? \ Yakushi~Kabuto on 30th June 2006, 05:27 wrote:
1) I think the countrycode should follow the internal serial (E) in these cases.
When the serial is xxxp-eur (and not xxxd-noe), the game is prepared for European release, even though in may only be released in one or a few countries. If we use (G) in these cases, one might argue that UK-only games should be given the tag (UK), which I think would create a mess.
You certainly have a few points there :)