What tool/method should be used to convert between "Big Endian" and "Byteswapped" Nintendo 64 ROMs

General No-Intro related discussions.
Hiccup
Datter

What tool/method should be used to convert between "Big Endian" and "Byteswapped" Nintendo 64 ROMs

Post by Hiccup »

I've used 64tool, but it doesn't work for some ROMs.
Is there a better tool or method to use?
What was used to create the Big Endian versions of all the ROMs that were datted recently?
omonim2007
Datter

Re: What tool/method should be used to convert between "Big Endian" and "Byteswapped" Nintendo 64 ROMs

Post by omonim2007 »

I'm using ucon64 (http://ucon64.sourceforge.net/) - this is the best program for this case.

Before that I used WinAPS, but I noticed some strange thing two month ago - after converting from Big Endian to Byte Swapped format it swaps last 2 values! So I had to find out a good and accurate utility. In the end, I opted for ucon64 + uf-FOX-GUI.
Hiccup
Datter

Re: What tool/method should be used to convert between "Big Endian" and "Byteswapped" Nintendo 64 ROMs

Post by Hiccup »

Thanks for the tool suggestions. I'm wondering - is this conversion process specific to N64 ROMs or is it just generic process that can be done to any file?
Hiccup
Datter

Post by Hiccup »

Screwtape wrote: 24 Oct 2018 22:29 It's a generic process.
Could Hxd or some other generic tool be used to do this then?
Loggan08

Post by Loggan08 »

It's not generic like that, ucon64 only supports a specified set of systems.

For N64 (To convert between byteswapped and big endian) you would do this :

ucon64.exe --z64 "anyn64file" > This converts to Big Endian

to swap it to Byteswapped :

ucon64.exe --swap "anyn64file.z64" > outputs byteswapped, rename to .v64 extension.