BIOS dumps naming

General No-Intro related discussions.
hooddy

BIOS dumps naming

Post by hooddy »

Guys how about to rename all BIOS dumps for one look style like this one:

[BIOS] dump name.ext

It would be more handy to identity bios dumps.
Look into SNES set for instance where mostly bios dumps are starts from the S letter.
And I think all the other sets would be fine too like it already in GBX/GBA sets done.

Also maybe it would be good to add some prefix to cheating roms like Game Genie/Action Replay etc. right a the rom name starts. Something universal like [BIOS] or like BS roms have.
Buddybenj

Re: BIOS dumps naming

Post by Buddybenj »

I believe this is already the standard per section 3.11 of the No-Intro naming convention. Could you point us to a BIOS that doesn't have the BIOS flag (remember, BIOSes must be firmware from the console itself)?

I see no reason for a flag for cheating ROMs as there is with BIOSes. Cheating ROMs are not fundamentally different than other ROMs, whereas BIOSes are different in that they aren't from a cartidge and they are in a different format than cartridge ROMs.
hooddy

Post by hooddy »

It seems to me I wrote some bullshit... I'll check it out for SNES set.
For cheating roms I mean some [CHEAT] or [TRAINER[ somethin like this prefix.
Btw X-Band dump have no any identity prefix or 'modem' word in dump name. In good tools it can be easely identity coz of it. So in PCE express cards dumps naming starts from [BIOS]. Is it dump from consoles itself nor from external carts?
I just trying to say it would be good to recheck when there is time for it all sets for hardware dumps like trainers, modems and any other cart extensions and rename it to more handy way. Like Aging cassette which presented in SNES and GBA. It's just named Aging cassette. So maybe some [TESTER] or something like this prefix would be good for it?
Some chips dumps have name like 'dump name (Enhancement chip)'. Maybe it good to rename it to '[ENHANCEMENT CHIP] dump name'? To easely identity and sorting in sets.
Anyway it's up to ya. And I need to read naming rules i never did.
hooddy

Post by hooddy »

I'm just trying to clean up my rom sets (i've not so much). Right now I'm in SNES set. I prefer to have merged sets. And there is lots of works. Some merged archives have wrong names and I try to wrote about it right in dat-o-matic but maybe ya can add me into tour team to clean up merged dat files? I can recheck my lil sets collection for NES, SNES, SMS, SGG, GEN, GBX, GBA, NGP/C. I mean not correct dump names but merged archives. wgich conteain few dumps and named like 'dump name (region) (rev x)' instread of 'dump name (region)'. There is lot of work.
C. V. Reynolds
Datter

Post by C. V. Reynolds »

You can't fix the merged sets problem you're speaking of from the position of datter. If that could be done, I'd have fixed it myself. There is nothing to "clean up" to fix it, is what I'm saying. A problem like you're seeing would be because of a bug in the system. Not you nor I could fix that without the proper coding experience. I don't know about you, but that sort of thing is above my level.
hooddy

Post by hooddy »

I though it can be fixed in parent/clone dat contant. But... Well... whateva. It's not my church to rule it.
C. V. Reynolds
Datter

Post by C. V. Reynolds »

Do I come across as harsh or angry in my posts? Sorry. I don't intend to. :( I'm not angry at all. I was merely stating that the parent/clone data is already okay. The errors would not be in there. They'd be elsewhere in the system.