Updating the No-Intro naming convention

General No-Intro related discussions.
PinkLouie

Re: Updating the No-Intro naming convention

Post by PinkLouie »

I suggest you adding a tag for verified roms, because there is a bunch of bad roms in no-intro.
KingMike

Post by KingMike »

That is what the status info on No-Intro is for.

I think No-Intro's ideal goal would be to have verified everything eventually (at least, aside from stuff like betas which can't be really verified).

This isn't GoodTools which desires to keep everything around (bad dumps, hacks, bootlegs).
C. V. Reynolds
Datter

Post by C. V. Reynolds »

Even though I already stated my preference for staying with box art for titles, I feel I should fairly point out a few advantages to using the title screen titles. These are the best reasons I can think of to change:

1: "Same ROM, different region" games will create no confusion over what to name them.

2: There will be no need to wonder about whether that extra text on the box is just a tagline or a real part of the title.

3: Prototypes/Betas/Samples don't have any box art or cartridge art most of the time. It would make naming them easier.
gamecaptor
Dumper

Post by gamecaptor »

I agree with C. V. Reynolds.
hking0036
Datter

Post by hking0036 »

C. V. Reynolds wrote:I don't agree with a switch to title screen names. We would lose the way in which a game was marketed, which I believe is important. It would also be a loss of a less important little piece of data: Looking at the "cartridge label" before plugging in a game. I'm ready to go with whatever as long as we always remain consistent, however.

I'd like to address another issue: Revision tags. Currently No-Intro is inconsistent with this. Sometimes "Rev 1" is used. Other times "Rev A", which was the previously accepted convention. I'm in favor of switching back to "Rev A". However, it's most important to me to retain consistency in rules. I'm good with either as long as we remain consistent.
On the matter of revisions, I'd say that a number system is better for clarity (rev 0 vs nothing for lettering revisions). I think it ultimately boils down to preference, but having both is a bit of a mess.

On the title screen thing, it can go either way. I feel like it's the best option because it should always be accessible but I understand the box-art argument. I think one of the GBA Spongebob games doesn't include the sub-title at all on the title screen and having a game that is just named "Spongebob" with no subtitle would become hard to interpret. I think title screen naming would be more consistent in the long run because it should always be present. Alternatively we could include box-art title or title screen as a part of the info in the snippet, but I don't know how much should end up in there before it's getting too crowded with language tags, revisions, and alternate names.
PinkLouie

Post by PinkLouie »

Some games are actually tagged as (Taiwan), but they are considered to be part of China, so I think theses games should be tagged as (China). Taiwan don't even want to be an independent country, they want to be considered as China itself. They refuse the comunist governament, so this is why they are considered a rebelious province. Kiddy Sun in Fantasia (Taiwan) is an example. It's a licensed games in the region for Nes, only launched there.
KingMike

Post by KingMike »

I think that is off-topic politics, and as long as Taiwan is legally recognized individually it should stay.