List of games compiled from source codes?

General No-Intro related discussions.
C. V. Reynolds
Datter

List of games compiled from source codes?

Post by C. V. Reynolds »

Okay, I want to give the "physical" tag (more like an UNtag) a workout... I ask of anyone please, should they know: Which games in the database are known to have been compiled from source code instead of having been dumped from cartridges? I'm mostly concerned with the SNES here (of course), but any mentions for other systems are welcome, too.

The obvious ones I'm aware of are the Star Fox 2 ROM images.

List so far (edited to keep up with the topic posts):

SNES:

Corn Buster
Star Fox 2 (earlier version)
Star Fox 2 (later version)

Virtual Boy:

Bound High
Last edited by C. V. Reynolds on 01 Jul 2013 11:11, edited 2 times in total.
hydr0x
Dumper

Re: List of games compiled from source codes?

Post by hydr0x »

Oh, I didn't even realize we do include such ROMs now. If that's the case, the prototype of Corn Buster (SNES) should be added to the DAT.
kiddocabbusses

Post by kiddocabbusses »

I forget exactly, but I believe a lot of drx's 1000+ Sega prototype releases from around 2008 or so were compiled from source code...?

I'll need to ask him about that.
BigFred
High Council

Post by BigFred »

Bound High Proto for Virtual Boy afair.
KingMike

Post by KingMike »

kiddocabbusses wrote:I forget exactly, but I believe a lot of drx's 1000+ Sega prototype releases from around 2008 or so were compiled from source code...?

I'll need to ask him about that.
The story that I remember was that he bought a hard drive backup (or something to that effect).
I think the question is, did he buy the source code and then compile them himself?
Or where they already in compiled ROM form when he got them?
The latter sounds more likely.
badinsults

Post by badinsults »

In the case of the early version of Star Fox 2, it came from a code archive with an already assembled binary. By the sounds of it, the person who released it bought a used computer from Argonaut that had the files on it (though I guess it didn't include the assembler itself, as he was asking on a blog about how to assemble the code).
hydr0x
Dumper

Post by hydr0x »

There's also Firearm. Will these be added to the DAT?
hydr0x
Dumper

Post by hydr0x »

D'oh, only now do I realize that the physical setting default is "wrong" when downloading the DAT. So Corn Buster is there ;) Firearm is actually missing though, as are the single levels from Dorque & Imp
BigFred
High Council

Post by BigFred »

Star Fox 2 will be included in the SNES Mini hardware and so it will finally be officially released. I really wonder what we will get here? Will the Japanese release match the Prototype we got? And there will even be an overseas release.
KingMike

Post by KingMike »

I thought the original programmer had said that NONE of the currently available ROMs are the final.
Even the current "best" ROM is supposedly still missing stuff.
(well, as an aside the in-game debugging stuff would surely be deleted as well if Nintendo had a truly-100%-could've-shipped-it-if-they-wanted master ROM)