Hartung Game Master cartridge dump

General No-Intro related discussions.
Sylver

Hartung Game Master cartridge dump

Post by Sylver » 15 May 2020 13:04

Hello,
I'll soon receive 2 undumped games for this portable console !
The games are :
- Tank War : top middle game
- Invader (= Space Invader) : the one below Tank War

Yes 2 of the 3 (4?) undumped Game Master games will soon be revealed to the world ! Crazy isn't it ? It will change the whole world forever for sure !
Anyway for this to be accomplished, I have a little task to achieve : dumping these cartridges content ...

So I did check for the dumping method for these games and I wasn't able to find anything online !
I did open a cartridge that I already own, and it gave me no clue about what it is ...

The world is so close to this major achievement, but I can't do that alone, so let's work together to make this real !

I'm an electronic hobbyist so building something to dump these cartridges is not a problem, but I'd need some help for known what to build !
Thanks

KingMike

Re: Hartung Game Master cartridge dump

Post by KingMike » 16 May 2020 06:50

Game Master is a rebranded version of Watara Supervision, isn't it?

I know there is one Supervision fansite devoted to information and scans of all the games. Wonder if he has information?
https://www.diskman.com/presents/supervision/

scyther-grovyle
Datter

Post by scyther-grovyle » 17 May 2020 00:49

I would suggest contacting Team Europe. Also, thanks a lot for wanting to get these dumped!

Sylver

Post by Sylver » 17 May 2020 16:27

KingMike wrote:
16 May 2020 06:50
Game Master is a rebranded version of Watara Supervision, isn't it?

I know there is one Supervision fansite devoted to information and scans of all the games. Wonder if he has information?
https://www.diskman.com/presents/supervision/
No it's a different system, far less good than the Supervision (really), even if it shares the same connector for the cartridges !
scyther-grovyle wrote:
17 May 2020 00:49
I would suggest contacting Team Europe. Also, thanks a lot for wanting to get these dumped!
Thanks for the info, I'll try to find a way to contact them :)

Edit :
Ok, I got info for the pinout from Team Europe ! I'll try to dump my cartridges when I'll get them and if it's ok, I'll post the information as it may be needed for the last undumped game that will be left !

Sylver

Post by Sylver » 17 Jun 2020 01:04

Hello, I've successfully dumped the 2 missing games I did receive !
I can share the information I guess :

Code: Select all

(picture side, board top)

g n n n n d d d d d c a / a a a a a ? ?
n c c c c 3 4 5 6 7 e 1 o 1 9 8 1 1 ? ?
d                     0 e 1     3 4 ? ?

1 1 1 1 1 1 1 1 1 1 2
1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 0
= = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = =
2 2 2 2 2 2 2 2 2 3 3 3 3 3 3 3 3 3 3 4
1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 0

+ * n n a a a a a a a a a d d d n n n n
5 w c c 1 7 6 5 4 3 2 1 0 0 1 2 c c c c
v e     2
?

jumper option to connect a14 or rom line to pullup

19,20 connected (bubble boy visible, other 4 measured)
      needed for operation!
19,20 no connection to chip! (infinity resistance to +5v, gnd)
a14 nc in continental galaxy
11 ce a15?

27512 pinout
 a15    1       28 +5v
 a12    2       27 a14
 a7     3       26 a13
 a6     4       25 a8
 a5     5       24 a9
 a4     6       23 a11
 a3     7       22 /oe
 a2     8       21 a10
 a1     9       20 /ce
 a0     10      19 d7
 d0     11      18 d6
 d1     12      17 d5
 d2     13      16 d4
 gnd    14      15 d3

4.5,4.77,5,5.1,5.2,5.3,5.4,5.5 v --> no stable reads
4.0v 4 cartridges stable read
3.6v 6th cartridge worked
This is what I had to work with ... Basically it explains how the dumper could use a 27c512 reader to dump the cartridges from Game Master ! Basically the Game Master cartridge will not use A15 pin and some games are not using A14/A13. What I did not notice at first look is that Output enable signal is "/oe" on the 27C512 (inverted signal, so it's active when it's set to a logic 0 = 0v) while on the cartridge it's a "oe" (so active when it's set to a logic 1 = 5v). So instead of connecting the /OE signal from my chip programmer to the OE of the cartridge, I did connect the OE of the cartridge to the +5v directly !
Once everything is correctly connected, you are able to read cartridge content. As the dumping program thinks it dump a 27C512, it'll read 64kB of memory. I means that the content of the cartridge will be duplicated 2 times or more depending of the size of the game ! You'll have to cut the duplicated part(s) ;)
The document above also seems to warn about problems reading the rom if the voltage is above 4.5v, I didn't have such issues when using my TL866II Plus as a reader ! It was always giving the same reading at 5v, and when I did check at 4.5v and 4.0v (the TL866II Plus is allowing to set the voltage when performing a check/comparison between current buffer and content of the chip), and I had exactly the same result than when using 5v ...
I hope it could help anyone who may want to dump some undumped Game Master games (I guess there is one known missing : S-Race) !

Things to know :
- you can use the cartridge connector from a dead Watara Supervision for building your cartridge dumper ;)
- I didn't connect the WE signal from the cartridge to anything ! I'm not sure that a Write Enable signal is relevant for a ROM chip ;)

ssjbrollyus

Post by ssjbrollyus » 20 Jun 2020 07:27

Thanks for dumping these! I thought I was the only one hunting down the undumped Game Master games, glad to see I'm not alone in my quest :) The last ones have been really tough to find.

Only one known game missing now which is S-Race, I'm positive Bomb Disposer was never released for the system.

Could I ask you to scan the cart labels of the 2 new games?

Also did you redump some of the already dumped games to see if the hashes will match the existing ones? I'm asking this for 2 reasons:
- We might end up finding some alternate revisions of the games (doubt it will happen);
- To be sure your dumping process is working perfectly fine as you mentioned these carts are very susceptible to voltage variations and it's pretty easy to end up with inconsistent dumps due to that reason;

Thanks again for getting the 2 games preserved and let's hope we will be able to track down the last one soon.

relax
High Council

Post by relax » 20 Jun 2020 12:41

Cart pics are here. Also redump info for 12 games :)
viewtopic.php?f=7&t=3908

Sylver

Post by Sylver » 20 Jun 2020 15:12

ssjbrollyus wrote:
20 Jun 2020 07:27
Thanks for dumping these! I thought I was the only one hunting down the undumped Game Master games, glad to see I'm not alone in my quest :) The last ones have been really tough to find.

Only one known game missing now which is S-Race, I'm positive Bomb Disposer was never released for the system.

Could I ask you to scan the cart labels of the 2 new games?

Also did you redump some of the already dumped games to see if the hashes will match the existing ones? I'm asking this for 2 reasons:
- We might end up finding some alternate revisions of the games (doubt it will happen);
- To be sure your dumping process is working perfectly fine as you mentioned these carts are very susceptible to voltage variations and it's pretty easy to end up with inconsistent dumps due to that reason;

Thanks again for getting the 2 games preserved and let's hope we will be able to track down the last one soon.
Hey !
Actually I was not hunting for these cartridges at all, I was not even aware of the existence of this console few months ago ! The point is that I love to get faulty consoles to repair and I've found 2 faulty Game Master and the 15 game cartridge (14 different games) you can see in my first post ! Has I had no idea of what was this system, I decided to get that to discover this system and to learn about repairing this system ! While waiting to receive the consoles and games, I also had the opportunity to get a working Game Master with one game and I took it to have a working reference for my console repair session !
While hunting for some information about this system, I discovered that I was about to own 2 games that were not dumped, so I started looking for some information about how to dump these cartridges and I ended here :lol: . Hopefully the guy from team europe gave me valuable information about how to dump this and luckily I had the hardware needed to be able to dump the cartridges content :)

I can make some better pictures of the cartridges if needed, I did the existing one in low light conditions and they are a little bit noisy and with some shadows ...

Regarding checking my dumps, I did dump every single cartridge I have (even the duplicated cartridges) and I had exactly the same dumps than the existing ones, so no alternate version sorry and my dump process seems right ! Moreover the dumping tool/hardware has a verify option (to compare a file with the content of a memory) that is allowing to choose the voltage applied on the chip (can choose 3.3v/4.0v/4.5v/5.0v/5.5v and 6.5v), I verified my dumps several times at different voltages (4/4.5/5v) and I had solid result whatever the voltage is ... As I said, I didn't have any voltage issues like the original author of the text file I posted ! I really think that this depends on the device used to dump the memory !

Now about the S-Race game, I'll survey the selling places I know, maybe one will pop one day ! Good luck in getting it on your side :) BTW are you sure that this game really exists ?

If you are interested in getting one cartridge of tank war, I've found one guy owning it (he's in France like me) !

ssjbrollyus

Post by ssjbrollyus » 22 Jun 2020 07:11

Hi,

Thanks for the pictures, didn't notice that thread before! Good that you redumped everything, judging by the results I think we can be confident the dumps are good.

Invader is the same game as Space Invader. Ahah funny that you weren't even looking for those games and ended up scoring them all and yet I've been trying to find them for years without much luck, it's always like that :)

I'm just glad these 2 are now off the list and only 1 game missing. I personally never saw a cart of S-Race or even a picture of it, but a friend collector swears he has seen a picture of the cart in a lot, he thinks he might have saved the picture somewhere, but until now he couldn't find it. He is one dedicated collector so I will trust his word on this.

I might be interested on the Tank War cart, I'll shoot you a pm thanks!