A few questions regarding the status of PS3 PSN DLC

General No-Intro related discussions.
Post Reply
User avatar
layzee
Posts: 21
Joined: 25 May 2008 12:14

A few questions regarding the status of PS3 PSN DLC

Post by layzee » 10 Feb 2020 17:18

1) Are the main groups preserving/cataloging PSN content (game updates, DLC content, custom themes, avatars, etc) No-Intro and NoPayStation?

2) Just to confirm, like how games have different regions (USA, Japan, Europe, etc), the DLC for the games are also region-locked? So each DLC has its own region.

3) How complete are they? There are free DLC and paid DLC so I can't imagine it would be cheap to get everything, especially with multiple regions.

I homebrewed my PS3 and I think I'm ready to start archiving stuff before they disappear so I just want to be clear what we have and don't have. To be clear, I will be specialising in the Japan-region stuff. Please give me a better idea and understanding of where we're at in terms of paid Japanese DLC before I start throwing out the cash. I have a Japanese PSN account and I can download DLC from there without problems (even though I don't live in Japan and I am using homebrew - haven't got banned yet knock on wood). For the paid DLC, I just need to purchase a JP PSN card.

Here are some examples of what looks like gaps to me:

Hard Corps: Uprising (Konami)
https://store.playstation.com/ja-jp/pro ... RPS000GAME

The Japanese DLC is missing. Cost: 945 yen.

Castlevania: Harmony of Despair (Konami)
https://store.playstation.com/ja-jp/gri ... ME00000000

AKA Akumajou Dracula. 10 Japanese DLC missing (4 mission/stage packs, 4 characters, 2 BGM packs). Cost: About 2500 yen.

Drakengard 3 (Square Enix)
https://store.playstation.com/ja-jp/gri ... ip=add-ons

AKA Drag-on Dragoon. No-Intro's English DLC of this game seems complete, the Japanese one is incomplete though.

NieR Replicant (Square Enix)
https://store.playstation.com/ja-jp/pro ... 0000000000

Both the Europe and USA single DLC for this game is preserved. The Japan one is not. Cost: About 880 yen.

Mega Man 10 (Capcom)
https://store.playstation.com/ja-jp/pro ... 0TREBLE000

AKA Rockman. All English DLC available. Japanese DLC missing (stages, avatars, themes, etc). Cost: about 2500 yen.

Various Nihon Falcom game DLCs (Falcom)

A bunch of stuff.

Various Tales of... game DLCs (Bandai Namco)

A bunch of stuff.

These are just a few examples. Is the reason the Japanese DLC is a bit limited due to cost and/or disinterest and/or difficulty/technical issues?

Landcross
Posts: 23
Joined: 25 Dec 2018 10:35

Re: A few questions regarding the status of PS3 PSN DLC

Post by Landcross » 12 Feb 2020 08:48

Are the main groups preserving/cataloging PSN content (game updates, DLC content, custom themes, avatars, etc) No-Intro and NoPayStation?
Yes and no. Kinda. No-Intro is indeed the main group with the goal to actually preserve and catalog (PSN) content. Though in the specific case of PSN stuff, interest has been very low lately and activity was pretty much non-existent for the past year or so. Until I came along :D

NoPayStation is a lot more active, but their primary goal is not really preserving or cataloging stuff. Sure they do that, but their data-quality is... so-so. Not to say to do bad work (especially in the Vita department), it's just different approaches with different goals.
Just to confirm, like how games have different regions (USA, Japan, Europe, etc), the DLC for the games are also region-locked? So each DLC has its own region.
I'm not entirely sure how region-locked DLC actually is (from a technical standpoint), but in most cases every piece of DLC does at least indeed has a different release in each region yes.
How complete are they? There are free DLC and paid DLC so I can't imagine it would be cheap to get everything, especially with multiple regions.
I'm not sure how complete it is, but it's certainly not complete at all. And it's not cheap (or easy) either. Just because there's just so much... Not to mention content that is not available for sale anymore and has to be traced back by finding people who bought it in the past. Or regions like Korea that are pretty much inaccessible for outsiders.

I am in the process of adding a ton of new stuff to the datfile soon, mostly (though certainly not all) from NPS, so before you go out and buy stuff it's wise to wait a little more or at least check what they have over at NPS. I hope to have the first batch added within a few weeks (though not named properly yet, just using the content-id as name).
I homebrewed my PS3 and I think I'm ready to start archiving stuff before they disappear so I just want to be clear what we have and don't have. To be clear, I will be specialising in the Japan-region stuff. Please give me a better idea and understanding of where we're at in terms of paid Japanese DLC before I start throwing out the cash.
That's cool! Japan is always a lesser active country in terms of (digital) preservation, so all the help is very much appreciated. As I said above, it's difficult to tell exactly what is and is not missing, but you're in luck because I run a (very much work in progress) database over at https://serialstation.com to catalog just that. I could write a query to check which items in my database are not yet in no-intro. Only drawback is that, for that to work properly, I need the content-ids for everything that is already in no-intro and I'm working on that, but again, it's taking time. Not to mention that it's sometimes a bit difficult to weed out what content is actually content and what stuff is 'virtual only'. E.g. a bundle or deluxe edition of a game is virtual only: there's not a 'deluxe edition' pkg file. When buying that item on the PSN store, it just results in multiple normal pkg files (e.g. the base game and DLC packages).

I did start a misslist for PSP Japan a little while ago, but work on that got sidetracked due to other stuff: https://wiki.no-intro.org/index.php?tit ... n_undumped

So, what it often boils down to above is time; I'm the bottleneck. Not because I want to, but because I'm pretty much literally the only one working on all PSN datfiles. And I started doing that just since a month or two ago, before that all those datfiles were dormant for months if not years. So, again, all help is very much appreciated.

Sidenote: just because a pkg file is in the DoM doesn't make it fully 'preserved'. Taking your Nier Replicant DLC as an example. The USA one is complete, with .pkg file and .rap file. The Europe on is not, it only has the .pkg file, not the .rap file. The .rap file is used for decryption. Having the .pkg file is the most important thing of course (who knows what we can do with more powerful computers and old encryption in the future), but having the .rap file too is of course even better.

User avatar
xuom2
High Council
Posts: 746
Joined: 22 May 2008 18:45

Re: A few questions regarding the status of PS3 PSN DLC

Post by xuom2 » 12 Feb 2020 09:16

I'm silent but I'm working hard to improve import & caching. TV is a huge distraction but everything is proceeding :)

User avatar
layzee
Posts: 21
Joined: 25 May 2008 12:14

Re: A few questions regarding the status of PS3 PSN DLC

Post by layzee » 14 Feb 2020 15:14

New to "To Do List": Figure out how to homebrew Xbox 360 and get Lost Odyssey's DLC before it's gone for good.
Edit: Never mind, it's already in No-Intro, and the DLC is classified as (World). Nice to see the Last Remnant stuff there too.
Landcross wrote:
12 Feb 2020 08:48
NoPayStation is a lot more active, but their primary goal is not really preserving or cataloging stuff. Sure they do that, but their data-quality is... so-so. Not to say to do bad work (especially in the Vita department), it's just different approaches with different goals.
Could you please briefly explain the difference between No-Intro and NPS and how things are done regarding PSN DLC?
Landcross wrote:
12 Feb 2020 08:48
there's just so much
Even if we can't afford to buy every DLC, if we had a missing list at least, that would be a good way of seeing what the DLC "landscape" looks like. I was hoping I could ask relevant communities for donations for grabbing the missing stuff. The ideal process would be like:

1. Game X, Y, Z has missing DLC worth $80.
2. Seeking donations for a $100 PSN card.
3. Purchase PSN card and then the game's DLC.
4. Distribute DLC to relevant parties (e.g. No-Intro).
5. Repeat 1 to 4.

But if as you say, there might not be that much interest in this sort of stuff then it might not be feasible. For now, the best thing I can do with my limited funds is to buy the stuff I'm personally interested in (e.g. see games in previous post) with higher priority placed on significant content (e.g. gameplay-related DLC like extra stages or characters or unique equipment/items) and lower priority on cosmetic-based DLC (e.g. extra costumes, themes and avatars).
Landcross wrote:
12 Feb 2020 08:48
Not to mention content that is not available for sale anymore and has to be traced back by finding people who bought it in the past.
Case in point Konami's PT. I guess DLC for Sega Dreamcast would also count: http://dc.dreamcastlive.net/dlc.html

Would you happen to have a list of this sort of thing or could identify some other prominent examples?
Landcross wrote:
12 Feb 2020 08:48
Or regions like Korea that are pretty much inaccessible for outsiders.
What is the reason? IP blocking, etc?
Landcross wrote:
12 Feb 2020 08:48
I am in the process of adding a ton of new stuff to the datfile soon, mostly (though certainly not all) from NPS, so before you go out and buy stuff it's wise to wait a little more or at least check what they have over at NPS. I hope to have the first batch added within a few weeks (though not named properly yet, just using the content-id as name).
Please do. NPS's own interface is nice and all, but I'm more used to clrmamepro to organise my emulation related stuff.
Landcross wrote:
12 Feb 2020 08:48
That's cool! Japan is always a lesser active country in terms of (digital) preservation, so all the help is very much appreciated. As I said above, it's difficult to tell exactly what is and is not missing, but you're in luck because I run a (very much work in progress) database over at https://serialstation.com to catalog just that. I could write a query to check which items in my database are not yet in no-intro. Only drawback is that, for that to work properly, I need the content-ids for everything that is already in no-intro and I'm working on that, but again, it's taking time. Not to mention that it's sometimes a bit difficult to weed out what content is actually content and what stuff is 'virtual only'. E.g. a bundle or deluxe edition of a game is virtual only: there's not a 'deluxe edition' pkg file. When buying that item on the PSN store, it just results in multiple normal pkg files (e.g. the base game and DLC packages).
I'll give your website a look and maybe post back here with comments, if any.
Landcross wrote:
12 Feb 2020 08:48
I did start a misslist for PSP Japan a little while ago, but work on that got sidetracked due to other stuff: https://wiki.no-intro.org/index.php?tit ... n_undumped
Yes, I looked into PSP PSN a while ago and also posted here about it (for some reason, my thread got deleted or wiped without warning). I also made a post here: https://gamefaqs.gamespot.com/boards/92 ... p/77883327

If you or anyone else could kindly have a browse of the above link, what are your thoughts on the inclusion of the above files to No-Intro? Technically it's not classified as PSP PSN content but it very much acts as official DLC from an official source (i.e. Capcom). The problem however is that the files may not exist in a "lossless" or in an "untouched default" state so the checksums will be different per user.
Landcross wrote:
12 Feb 2020 08:48
Sidenote: just because a pkg file is in the DoM doesn't make it fully 'preserved'. Taking your Nier Replicant DLC as an example. The USA one is complete, with .pkg file and .rap file. The Europe on is not, it only has the .pkg file, not the .rap file. The .rap file is used for decryption. Having the .pkg file is the most important thing of course (who knows what we can do with more powerful computers and old encryption in the future), but having the .rap file too is of course even better.
I'll definitely keep both file formats in mind in the future.

Landcross
Posts: 23
Joined: 25 Dec 2018 10:35

Re: A few questions regarding the status of PS3 PSN DLC

Post by Landcross » 14 Feb 2020 17:29

Hehe, quotes galore in this topic now.
Could you please briefly explain the difference between No-Intro and NPS and how things are done regarding PSN DLC?
Well, as I said it's not so much doing things very differently, it's just that they're very much different... 'target audiences' so to speak. Here at no-intro people can really care about nitpicking details or obscure games that nobody cares about. Cataloging them, datting them, preserving them. NPS's community less so, it's is more about having stuff to play, not necessarily cataloging and preserving everything in a good way. As I said in my previous post, absolutely not everyone at NPS sees it like that of course, NPS certainly does good things and in most ways NPS and NI are doing the same thing (and I believe there's a fair amount of communication between certain people from both communities), it's just mostly different communities with different people having a different goals and takes on it, but at the end of the day both do equal 'important' work. And it has a fancy website as opposed to the (no offense xuom ;) ) slightly old-fashioned DoM haha.
Even if we can't afford to buy every DLC, if we had a missing list at least, that would be a good way of seeing what the DLC "landscape" looks like. I was hoping I could ask relevant communities for donations for grabbing the missing stuff.
Yup, misslists are very useful. It's just difficult and time-consuming to make them. Especially if it concerns tens of thousands of items haha. As I said in my previous post, I want to make them, but first I have a ton of stuff to add to the dats first and then have to figure out a way to make the misslist that takes the least amount of time and is sort-of correct. At the end of the day, especially with PS3 and onwards (PSP is still somewhat limited in terms of content), there's so much stuff out there that at this point in time it's probably easier to just pick random items you're interested in and see if they are already added.
Case in point Konami's PT. Would you happen to have a list of this sort of thing or could identify some other prominent examples?
P.T. is a bit of a bad example, because that one is actually completely wiped from Sony's servers. Usually when something gets delisted (or items that were never visible in the first place, like pre-order bonuses and stuff like that), it's not visible in the PSN store anymore but still available for users that own it. P.T. was just completely removed. But no, I don't have a list of specifically which items are missing and delisted.
What is the reason? IP blocking, etc?
Well, in the case of Korea specificially, you need some kind of Korean citizen id to create a Korean PSN account (or really any Korean online account), for which you need to be living in Korea.
If you or anyone else could kindly have a browse of the above link, what are your thoughts on the inclusion of the above files to No-Intro?
That's is an interesting subject. I heard some people talking about it before. Some (early?) PSP and/or PS3 systems had some kind of custom DLC systems as opposed to using the PSN store. I personally am not familiar with it at all and I haven't spent any time looking into it either because I have already enough on my plate. I don't think it would be a good fit for the current PSN dats, but maybe it's possible to put them in a separate dat? I don't know how much games there are, or even how much interest there is in this stuff in the first place? Knowing it's there is one thing, but having someone actually fetching and hashing it and whatnot is something else (assuming the servers are even still online...).

norkmetnoil577
Datter
Posts: 21
Joined: 20 Aug 2016 21:30

Re: A few questions regarding the status of PS3 PSN DLC

Post by norkmetnoil577 » 25 May 2020 00:58

To add to this any help with PSN preservation is great, thank you it is a big task.

Adding your links and RAPs to NoPayStation is a good way to ensure it will make its way here, although there is some lag of course due to human effort to turn it into clean names following our convention and figure out what is what. NPS also allow you to just upload your entire collection of links/licenses and their system will sort out what is new and match up links to their entries for you, I believe.

To any would-be contributors: if you have licenses, please go through the effort to (re) dump your RAPs, and don't just rip the PKG out of laziness/difficulty. We need to save RAPs as well. RAPs for PSP are also seriously underdumped due to the fact that they're not strictly necessary (encryption is crackable I think unlike PS3) but still would be good to have.

To datters: I still don't know a good way to preserve decryption data in file form for Vita and PS4. Maybe Vita could be work.bin?

If you're going to buy things though, finding ones where neither PKG nor RAP is known is probably higher priority since if the PKG is out there then *somebody* should be able to dump the rap or have it...

Post Reply