Question: What are the titles that were completed but never released?

General No-Intro related discussions.
Fugus

Question: What are the titles that were completed but never released?

Post by Fugus »

Been thinking about this for a while now. Out the alpha/beta/prototype games out there, what are the games for the systems that was completed and ready to ship but never actually released?

I have actually been thinking about this every since I found out that Mickey's Playtown Adventure for the SNES was never released because my Nieces and Nephews LOVED that game back in the day and actually look back on it with nostalgia from when I used to let them play it on an old modded Xbox I had setup for them.

I know of that game and Thrill Kill for the PSX, but what other games are there like that?

Honestly, games like that shouldn't have an alpha/beta/prototype tag if you asked me, they should be given the tag of "Unreleased" because it was a finished product, just never put on the shelf.
KingMike

Re: Question: What are the titles that were completed but never released?

Post by KingMike »

I thought one of the "Beta" and "Prototype" (I can't remember which) tags was for that purpose, compared to the other: non-finalized games that never got an official release.
Trouble is that a lot of those games were leaked by BBSes back in the day, ahead of release. And nobody cared to keep track of which ones actually made it to retail.
I don't think anyone really cared that one of the Barbie games (Barbie's Vacation Adventure, was it?) never made it to retail release until byuu/Near went looking for a complete NA SNES box collection and noticed.
Fugus

Post by Fugus »

KingMike wrote: 26 Jan 2024 16:19 I thought one of the "Beta" and "Prototype" (I can't remember which) tags was for that purpose, compared to the other: non-finalized games that never got an official release.
Trouble is that a lot of those games were leaked by BBSes back in the day, ahead of release. And nobody cared to keep track of which ones actually made it to retail.
I don't think anyone really cared that one of the Barbie games (Barbie's Vacation Adventure, was it?) never made it to retail release until byuu/Near went looking for a complete NA SNES box collection and noticed.
I know Mickey's Playtown Adventure is labeled a "Prototype" but there is MANY others and I don't think all of them were completed. Which is why I recommended the "Unreleased" tag to replace Beta and Proto tags for games that were finished but not released.

Would love the ability to separate the finished treasures from the unfinished trash without having to research each of the games individually which can get pretty tedious.

Edit: Either way, the Dat-O-Matic is infinitely superior to the setup ReDump has going where that just throw it out there in Bin/Cue and ISO only with zero sorting on their end.
Fugus

Post by Fugus »

With the amount of work and research involved in this suggestion, I think I know a decent mid-ground for it.

A tag of "Unreleased Beta" for Betas of games that had no official release. So you could filter out the betas of games that were actually released without filtering out the games that were never released.