Modern unlicenced games

General No-Intro related discussions.
relax
High Council

Modern unlicenced games

Post by relax » 05 Jan 2019 12:53

What should we do with unlicenced games published after the console's life span? Add them or not?

For example those from Piko Interactive. I see that World Reborn was added to the GBA-dat. Peculiarly, the existing proto in the dat can be considered licenced, as the developer was licenced, while the physical cart release must be considered as unlicenced.

https://www.unseen64.net/2008/04/06/wor ... nreleased/

omonim2007
Datter

Re: Modern unlicenced games

Post by omonim2007 » 22 Jan 2020 10:37

I will express my opinion. I hope it does not contradict the basic rules ))

It is necessary to add as many games as possible for every console (it doesn’t matter if some game published during the life of the console or after). The main rule - the game should be published physically on cartridges/cards and so on, that is, have a certain release (even if it's only 10 pieces run). Everything for cataloging games already exists in the Dat-o-Matic (tags "Pirate", "Unlicensed", etc.)

The only drawback in the database engine that I see is the inability to explicitly separate unlicensed and pirated games from licensed ones. It is necessary to integrate the mechanism so that after selecting a specific database all "slag" (sorry pirate/homebrew collectors) can be cut off from it.

Another point - we need to add a new tag for Self-Published games to separate unlicensed games that came out during the life of the console (for example Bible Adventures, Joshua & the Battle of Jericho for NES) from those unlicensed games that came out after the life of the console (for example Battle Kid, Super NeSnake 2 for NES and so on). Pirate games - all unlicensed games that are ports from other platforms (for example Aladdin, a lot of different Street Fighter games for NES and so on).

Summarizing all mentioned above for Unlicensed games:

Unlicensed - original (not ports from other systems) games, published during console life

Pirate - ports from other systems, published during or after console life

Self-Published (need to integrate this tag) - games, published after official console discontinuation

P.S. I propose to completely ignore only homebrew software.

relax
High Council

Post by relax » 24 Jan 2020 00:11

I like having a new tag as a distinguisher for games published after console's life span. Self-Published is a good suggestion, I have no better one.

I agree with not adding homebrew. But a game goes from homebrew to Self-Published as soon as it is put on carts. There are lots of new games releases, especially for Atari.
http://mag.mo5.com/actu/174258/onze-nou ... it-datari/

You mention define "as ports from other systems". That's one type. There are "pirate originals", original games using someone else's IP. Then we have pirate translations (e.g. Ronaldinho's Soccer 64).

Furthermore there are pirate hacks, simple reproductions and multicarts, all of which I would prefer not adding to the dats.

scorp256

Post by scorp256 » 27 Jan 2020 11:28

omonim2007 wrote:
22 Jan 2020 10:37
So if somebody would decide to create sort of "print on demand" service to make a physical copy out of any homebrew rom - like you can print books/t-shirts/etc. - then these "homebrews" will automatically become "self-published" (I am not sure, but I think I already saw a service like that)? Quite strange decision, tbh. In this case I see no big difference between homebrew and these "self-published" games. Moreover I think lot of homebrew games tend to have a physical counterpart, so... What's the point in diving them this way?

omonim2007
Datter

Post by omonim2007 » 27 Jan 2020 13:08

scorp256 wrote:
27 Jan 2020 11:28
omonim2007 wrote:
22 Jan 2020 10:37
So if somebody would decide to create sort of "print on demand" service to make a physical copy out of any homebrew rom - like you can print books/t-shirts/etc. - then these "homebrews" will automatically become "self-published" (I am not sure, but I think I already saw a service like that)? Quite strange decision, tbh. In this case I see no big difference between homebrew and these "self-published" games. Moreover I think lot of homebrew games tend to have a physical counterpart, so... What's the point in diving them this way?
In that message, I meant that we should pay attention only to the publications of large companies like Piko Interactive and so on.
Such publications are proposed to be called Self-Published.

Of course, small runs of individual users or some forum users should be ignored.

It is only necessary to determine what is the minimum amount of cart copies should be produced in order to characterize the
publication as Self-Published.

John Enigma

Post by John Enigma » 25 Feb 2020 21:39

Self-Published (need to integrate this tag) - games, published after official console discontinuation
I think the correct term for this particular tag would actually be "Aftermarket".

As for "Pirate", the term that everyone normally uses would be "Bootleg", but even that is debatable.

Game examples for the unlicensed game tags for No-Intro would be the following:

Unlicensed - Super 3D Noah's Ark, Aladdin Deck Enhancer series of games

Pirate - Somari (for the NES), that bootleg Final Fantasy VII NES demake, pretty much every known Asian (or Chinese) bootleg game for the NES, and other 8-Bit or 16-Bit console

Aftermarket - Piko Interactive's library of games, including new ones like Jim Power for the NES, Mega 3D Noah's Ark (Sega Mega Drive version of Super 3D Noah's Ark), and the N64 port of 40 Winks, between other games from other companies

Edit: Some clarity, and a bit more of information.

scorp256

Post by scorp256 » 26 Feb 2020 11:41

omonim2007 wrote:
27 Jan 2020 13:08
Of course, small runs of individual users or some forum users should be ignored.
IIRC this is not true, as we already have some carts which were printed in very low run and distributed on local convents.