Adding a WiiU DLC dat

General No-Intro related discussions.
Densetsu
Datter

Adding a WiiU DLC dat

Post by Densetsu »

It came to my attention due to a recent title change that we have a WiiU VC game in the GBA dat:

x115 - Super Mario Advance 3 - Yoshi's Island (USA) (Wii U Virtual Console) >> http://datomatic.no-intro.org/index.php ... =23&n=x115

I guess this case is very similar to the Wii console "situation" where we also have a DLC dat and don't add Wii VC games to the "native" system dat?
For example: "Yoshi's Story (Europe) (N64) (Virtual Console)" is added to the Wii DLC dat and not to the N64 dat and I support that "logic".

So would it be possible to get a new system called "WiiU (DLC)" for Dat-o-Matic?
Hiccup
Datter

Re: Adding a WiiU DLC dat

Post by Hiccup »

I think the tools and knowledge is all there for a "Wii U (DLC)" dat. The thing is, these ROMs you are refering to aren't Wii U DLC software - they are GBA ROMs extracted from Wii U DLC software.
hking0036
Datter

Post by hking0036 »

Densetsu wrote:It came to my attention due to a recent title change that we have a WiiU VC game in the GBA dat:

x115 - Super Mario Advance 3 - Yoshi's Island (USA) (Wii U Virtual Console) >> http://datomatic.no-intro.org/index.php ... =23&n=x115

I guess this case is very similar to the Wii console "situation" where we also have a DLC dat and don't add Wii VC games to the "native" system dat?
For example: "Yoshi's Story (Europe) (N64) (Virtual Console)" is added to the Wii DLC dat and not to the N64 dat and I support that "logic".

So would it be possible to get a new system called "WiiU (DLC)" for Dat-o-Matic?
These are GBA rom dumps pulled from the VC and not the equivalent to a wad that you would install so it would make sense to include them in the GBA dat, at least that's my line of thinking. The installable files would fit but I don't know if a consensus was ever reached on that. I have a bunch of these wii u vc rom dumps sitting around in the new dumps section though, so whatever happens will be cool regardless.
gamecaptor
Dumper

Post by gamecaptor »

So this is tricky. In my mind the DAT should reflect the system it is intended for. Ultimately the extension (or wrapper) would reflect this. Similar to how an MP4 is different than an MKV. I realize they are interchangeable as far as they are both a video file, how they are played back COULD be different.

In this case a .gba file can't be natively played on a Wii U correct?
Hiccup
Datter

Post by Hiccup »

no, .gba can't be played natively on Wii U. they can only be played completly nativlty on the Game Boy Advance console series.

about a Wii U DLC dat: it might be better to catalogue the "original files", not WAD-equivalents - I think bsbt has already made a dat for it, on another thread.
Densetsu
Datter

Post by Densetsu »

Thanks for your comments, guys!

To get a proper understanding... So someone has bought "Super Mario Advance 3 - Yoshi's Island (USA)" in Nintendo's VC shop (or whatever it is called :p) and then extracted a part of the file which is the actual GBA ROM?

Well, I still think the game should go to a WiiU related dat because even in a different form it was released on the WiiU... Are there any similar cases (maybe also on other consoles) which would be comparable?
Hiccup
Datter

Post by Hiccup »

yes

and yes: .nes ROMs in the NES dat that were extracted from GameCube title(s) (maybe Animal Crossing)
hking0036
Datter

Post by hking0036 »

Densetsu wrote:Thanks for your comments, guys!

To get a proper understanding... So someone has bought "Super Mario Advance 3 - Yoshi's Island (USA)" in Nintendo's VC shop (or whatever it is called :p) and then extracted a part of the file which is the actual GBA ROM?

Well, I still think the game should go to a WiiU related dat because even in a different form it was released on the WiiU... Are there any similar cases (maybe also on other consoles) which would be comparable?
That's what's happening. It could make sense to fit into the Wii U, but you can also download the installable files for the full vc package (think wads for Wii) which would more likely end up in the Wii U DLC section which ends up raising confusion. The issue is that some of the roms (GBA, NES, maybe others) end up getting modified by Nintendo or otherwise before being put up onto the eShop, which is why the .gba roms have ended up in the gba section. In addition to this, there's at least two new gba roms coming out of the Wii U vc, Game & Watch Gallery 4 (JPN), and Drilldozer (EU) which were never a thing before.
jimmsu
Datter

Post by jimmsu »

hking0036 wrote:

That's what's happening. It could make sense to fit into the Wii U, but you can also download the installable files for the full vc package (think wads for Wii) which would more likely end up in the Wii U DLC section which ends up raising confusion. The issue is that some of the roms (GBA, NES, maybe others) end up getting modified by Nintendo or otherwise before being put up onto the eShop, which is why the .gba roms have ended up in the gba section. In addition to this, there's at least two new gba roms coming out of the Wii U vc, Game & Watch Gallery 4 (JPN), and Drilldozer (EU) which were never a thing before.

When it are new roms oke.
But did anybody look at the the roms that cam from the WiiU.
There is other data in the roms (data from WiiU).

So these GBA rosm are not clean ones.
KingMike

Post by KingMike »

On a similar topic, I recall GoodNES set had added Castlevania and Contra series ROMs ripped from an official compilation for PC (a retail release from like 2002 or so. I forget the exact name: Konami Classic Series, Konami Collectors Series... : Castlevania & Contra something like that.)

Were those not considered proper for No-Intro?
(I do recall the ROMs had some differences like removing the "Licensed by Nintendo" text as well as the classic Konami logo. Supposedly Castlevania II's password system was different as well but then I recall it was between the original NTSC and PAL versions as well.)
Hiccup
Datter

Post by Hiccup »

jimmsu wrote:When it are new roms oke.

they are hacks (as opposed to built from source) yes - but they are official hacks
hking0036
Datter

Post by hking0036 »

jimmsu wrote:
hking0036 wrote:

When it are new roms oke.

Which is why they're getting tagged seperately as (Virtual Console). Modifications from Nintendo mean they're not going to be the same rom, that doesn't mean you should disregard them. If you do a dump from RAM there's a potential for having data from the Wii U in there but all of the GBA rom dumps I've done I use a pc tool for, coming straight from the decrypted files. I only do RAM dumps to verify.