No DS Firmware in the dat?

General No-Intro related discussions.
Collecter

No DS Firmware in the dat?

Post by Collecter »

How come the ds firmwares aint part of the nintendo ds dat i see you guys got the bios there but no firmware aint it worth it to preserve it too?

There are many versions of it (v1-v7 if im not wrong) and a rare one from the limited edition gold ds lite in japan and they would be a nice addition to the dat.

From a quich search i found some different firmwares including a version with nds file extension and i keep them in my non no intro collection.

Also are there no nintendo 64, nes, snes and virtual boy bios boot roms like in game boy, game boy color etc? Those systems have a start up logo but i dont see any bios for them
KingMike

Re: No DS Firmware in the dat?

Post by KingMike »

NES has the lockout chip but I don't know if that is considered "firmware".
The SNES similarly has a lockout. However, neither console has a boot screen. Not in any official retail consoles, at least. Just demo/promo variants like the M82 Game Selector and the (Super) Famicom Box.
Collecter

Post by Collecter »

KingMike wrote:NES has the lockout chip but I don't know if that is considered "firmware".
The SNES similarly has a lockout. However, neither console has a boot screen. Not in any official retail consoles, at least. Just demo/promo variants like the M82 Game Selector and the (Super) Famicom Box.
I watched a youtube video called all nintendo boot screens and saw somo logos with nes, snes, n64 and virtual boy similar to gb, gbc, gba etc.

Speaking of m82 how come nobody has dumped the bios for m8 yet even the snes cd has been dumped

And are gba sp bios same as the 1 called game boy advance boot rom (world)?

Oh and if somebody dumps dsi bios and firmware will you add them to the dsi dat?
Im amazed nobody dumped those yet
KingMike

Post by KingMike »

Well, as I said for NES/SNES it must be non-standard variants. The only "SNES" special system I know is the "Super Nintendo Gateway System", a games-on-demand service used in hotels and airplanes to play a few selected SNES (later updated to N64, maybe even GameCube?) games for a fee. Even then I'm not sure it qualifies as a "console", depending on how it technically worked. Would need to see the video to confirm what you're talking about.
M82 has been dumped since I first learned about it when the ROM was released maybe 15 years ago.
It's already in the database.
http://datomatic.no-intro.org/index.php ... =45&n=1299

That does remind me the SNES Gateway System reportedly had a few exclusive games (and maybe some games were changed from release in some way? I recall when I had seen it live only one controller was supported But that was like 20 years ago.) Only one, a tic-tac-toe game called Naughts & Crosses, has been found in SNES prototype cartridge form, but I don't think it's been dumped. (and last I knew owned by a famous collector who, if he were willing to dump it would want large compensation for its lost resale value.)
We're probably many years past being able to dump these games, if it were ever possible.
Collecter

Post by Collecter »

Im talking about m8 system not m82.
check some youtube videos of it the start up sceen got a nice tune xD

I found the ique ds lite firmware and added it to my collection it would be nice if firmwares were in the ds dat
KingMike

Post by KingMike »

Looking up M8, it's still a demo unit (just not the same one as I thought) and not standard retail hardware.
Just as I'm sure there are least two Famicom Box-type devices (one that took normal Famicom carts and another that was similar to the M82, taking carts similar to NES carts but black with yellow upside-down labels).
And the one video that has a "Super Nintendo Entertainment System" logo, I don't know where that came from, but unless it was added in the PAL console (which I doubt), it's not a retail console. It has a PAL logo, so if that's a real system I'll leave it to PAL-region fans to identify what if any actual hardware that screen came from. I've been playing my original SNES, NES and FC consoles a good many years to know the standard retail (certainly in the US) don't have boot screens. :P
The N64 logo is for the N64 Disk Drive. The standard cartridge system doesn't have a BIOS logo screen, but many games have their own N64 logo screens (thus it's the game data, not system). I do know the N64 CIC chips in the carts had some kind of boot functionality (to check that the game was booting with the correct CIC, as a deterrent to the workarounds discovered on the NES and SNES unlicensed/pirate scenes).

As to why nobody has dumped M8, maybe nobody with dumping capabilities has gotten one in hand? The M82 was probably dumped around 2000, when NES collecting was relatively cheap. Even undumped unreleased prototypes you could probably get by spending hundreds rather than the thousands of dollars you'd have to expect to spend these days.
Collecter

Post by Collecter »

Thanks for this info i never had a nes, snes or n64 i was more of a handheld nintendo fan thats why after watching those vids and seeing no bios for those systems in the no intro dats i got confused a bit.

So what about the ds firmwares and dsi bios (and firmware?) dont they deserve to be in the no intro dats? the ds, gb, gbc, gba bios made it there why not those too :(

Now im trying to check if gba sp english and japanese bios are the same as in a normal gba it would be nice if somebody here has any info on this.
And does the japanese debug gba bios from the gba dat has the same start up sound as the final japanese gba bios?

Sorry for the 1000 questions i just began collecting and need any info i can get
einstein95
Datter

Post by einstein95 »

The SNES Boot Screen is most probably this one https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QNwOaGLG8CI ("My example of what a Super Nintendo start-up screen would be.")
Collecter

Post by Collecter »

einstein95 wrote:The SNES Boot Screen is most probably this one https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QNwOaGLG8CI ("My example of what a Super Nintendo start-up screen would be.")
Yeah it is... whoever did the all nintendo start ups video copied that snes video and confused me lol