Non-listed Genesis ROMs

General No-Intro related discussions.
rouken

Non-listed Genesis ROMs

Post by rouken »

In creating this topic because there's some ROMs could be listed in the Genesis's No-Intro DAT.

=== The Revenge of Shinobi ===
The Genesis game The Revenge of Shinobi have a lot of releases. You can find detailed informations HERE.
In the list, there's two versions of the game not listed in No-Intro dat yet:
> The first one is the prototype ROM, found in the Sega Smash Pack for PC.
> The second one is the Virtual Console version (named as Revenge of Shinobi, The (W) (REV03VC)).
Once the ROMs of those games was extracted and avaiable, I think those two ROMs can be listed in the No-Intro list. Once the two game don't have a phisical format, those ROMs must be listed as non-physical ROMs.

=== Oh!! Mummy Genesis ===
This game comes in a phisical comercial format, but this game becomes a freeware after the boxed copies of the game ran out. More informations HERE.

=== Sonic The Hedgehog (W) (REVXB) ===
This version of the first Sonic The Hedgehog game was extracted from the Sonic Mega Collection for GameCube, and this game is different from the previous ROMs already listed at the No-Intro set. Basicly, this version fix the famous spike bug. Once this game was extracted from the GameCube disc, the ROM must be listed as non-phycical too.

=== Sonic The Hedgehog 2 (Early prototype) ===
The first Sonic 2 proto dumped, known as "Simon Wai" prototype, is listed at the No-Intro set. But there's an earlier prototype version of the game, called "Nick Arcade" prototype, and this ROM is not listed yet. If you want for more information, you can go HERE.

=== Beast Ball ===
Recently, the beta ROM of this unreleased game was found. I think the No-Intro team could add this beta in their DAT.

=== Bomboy - Explosion Kid (Unl) [!] ===
This game is an unlicensed game for Sega Genesis, a Bombermang clone. The ROM was releases some time ago.

=== Gunfight - 3 in 1 ===
Another unlicensed Sega Genesis game with a ROM released. This time, a 3-in-1 game compatible with the Genesis lightgun.
hydr0x
Dumper

Re: Non-listed Genesis ROMs

Post by hydr0x »

Pushing this, these are still not in the DAT, as are many other MD dumps.
Special T
Datter

Post by Special T »

It's funny you bumped this topic, I was actually looking at it this morning.

I'll look into adding them later today.

On a side note, I typically open a rom in SBWin Converter to verify it's in BIN format but Beastball isn't recognizable by that software. Also, it runs fine in Fusion and Exodus but not Regen. Any info on this would be helpful.
Special T
Datter

Post by Special T »

rouken wrote:=== Sonic The Hedgehog 2 (Early prototype) ===
The first Sonic 2 proto dumped, known as "Simon Wai" prototype, is listed at the No-Intro set. But there's an earlier prototype version of the game, called "Nick Arcade" prototype, and this ROM is not listed yet. If you want for more information, you can go HERE.

=== Beast Ball ===
Recently, the beta ROM of this unreleased game was found. I think the No-Intro team could add this beta in their DAT.
I'm still looking into Beastball so any additional info people have on this game please let me know.

As for the Sonic The Hedgehog 2 Nick Arcade Proto, it is already listed on the website as Sonic The Hedgehog 2 Beta. The CRC32 matches the one in your link.
eke-eke

Post by eke-eke »

Special T wrote:It's funny you bumped this topic, I was actually looking at it this morning.

The ROM you added for Gunfight 3-in-1 is a patched ROM, I know because I cracked the protection for the guy who bought and dumped the cartridge.

The original dump does not work in PC emulators because the protection is not emulated but I guess no-intro would rather list the unmodified ROM in its database, right ?

link: http://s4.zetaboards.com/PGC_Forums/topic/9906990/1/

If you really are starting to add all those unlicensed games in no-intro, be aware that most of them had similar protections and ROMs floating around are patched to work on emulators, so testing on emulators or even flashcarts is not a guarantee that the dump is "verified".
hydr0x
Dumper

Post by hydr0x »

Absolutely, the unmodified ROM should be in the DAT.
Special T
Datter

Post by Special T »

eke-eke wrote:
Special T wrote:It's funny you bumped this topic, I was actually looking at it this morning.

The ROM you added for Gunfight 3-in-1 is a patched ROM, I know because I cracked the protection for the guy who bought and dumped the cartridge.

The original dump does not work in PC emulators because the protection is not emulated but I guess no-intro would rather list the unmodified ROM in its database, right ?

link: http://s4.zetaboards.com/PGC_Forums/topic/9906990/1/

If you really are starting to add all those unlicensed games in no-intro, be aware that most of them had similar protections and ROMs floating around are patched to work on emulators, so testing on emulators or even flashcarts is not a guarantee that the dump is "verified".
Thanks for catching that, I wasn't aware the one I uploaded was a patched copy. I'll work on getting it corrected later tonight.

***EDIT***

The hash information for Gunfight 3-in-1 has been updated to the raw dump, that you pointed to. If you notice any other discrepancies, please let me know.
KingMike

Post by KingMike »

Stupid question but did anybody unzip those split files right?
I shouldn't have that much trouble but I tried 7zip, Windows built-in extractor and FilZip. I don't want to try too many more programs just for an unlicensed Genesis ROM that won't run anyways. :P
baldjared

Post by baldjared »

I also tried 7zip, didn't seem to like it, so I gave up and let the clrmamepro rebuilder handle it and that didn't seem to have any problems.