Only one DAT has Enhanced Roms?

General No-Intro related discussions.
Tauwasser
Datter

Re: Only one DAT has Enhanced Roms?

Post by Tauwasser »

We would probably need to see the script :D At the same time, we could tackle SGB-enhanced stuff, because that is information stored in the Game Boy header. Rumble-support unfortunately cannot be determined this way.
Densetsu
Datter

Post by Densetsu »

I'll have to take another look at my list because it's been some months since then. ;)

I used the information kazumi213 provided on page #1 of this thread to compile the list.
hydr0x
Dumper

Post by hydr0x »

TheShadowRunner wrote:
xuom2 wrote:yep, people should already able to filter datfile content by tags.
if a datter is reading this, please implement this tag ;)
This is going somewhere, great! 8-)
So it's a matter of adding the "GB Compatible" tag to the following games in the GBC DAT?
viewtopic.php?p=16656#p16656
Densetsu, are you sure about your script/list?
I can spot one definite mistake on the list already. The European version of Logical is definitely not compatible with the original Game Boy.
Densetsu
Datter

Post by Densetsu »

hydr0x wrote:I can spot one definite mistake on the list already. The European version of Logical is definitely not compatible with the original Game Boy.
This means that we can't rely on the bits set in the ROM.
I just opened "Logical (Europe).gbc" in a hex editor: At address 0x143, it has the value 0x80 - which means the game should be GB compatible.

A quick research reveals that the game's serial starts with "CGC", so yeah, lazy developers it seems not setting the correct bits?

Consequently, does this mean we should check all GBC ROMs for GB compatibility manually?
What would be the best way to do so? Starting the ROMs with an emulator in DMG mode? Searching for the serials to verify?
TheShadowRunner

Post by TheShadowRunner »

Arg, yes, with VisualBoyAdvance set to GB only (Options > Gameboy > GB), I get "This Gamepak is only intended for use with Gameboy Color".
But HebeGB does indicate it's supposed to be GB/SGB compatible. Certainly a fluke by the developer indeed.
Testing seems the only way, either on real hardware or emu set to GB-only core.
Tauwasser
Datter

Post by Tauwasser »

Nice job weeding this one out. Until now I thought this information was accurate, because it was actually assigned by Nintendo. Developers had to fill out a certain form and indicate this stuff and then Nintendo would give it a go or not.
KingMike

Post by KingMike »

My guess is they sometimes just passed stuff without really looking at it.

See Breath of Fire II for the SNES. Uses "Damn!" in main story text, as well as a mini-game which instructs the player to push the "red" and "yellow" buttons (should've been changed to A and B, due to America's purple buttons.) Both of those are on Nintendo's list of things they should've told Capcom to change.
(though the first was actually changed for the Virtual Console versions, it seems. Perhaps as it might've affected the ESRB rating.)
Densetsu
Datter

Post by Densetsu »

Okay, I created two lists based on the set bits in the ROM, maybe we can use the lists to divide the GBC games into groups so checking will not take years? :D
(In my original list some pages back I had filtered out the games that had a SGB tag because AFAIK, GBC-only games generally don't support the SGB, so SGB tag => GB-compatible.)

A) Compatible also with Classic GB [DMG]: http://txt.do/d1iqt

B) Compatible with GBC only [CGB]: http://txt.do/d1iq5

C) Other bits set than 0x80 or 0xC0 at 0x143:
31 in 1 (Taiwan) (31B-001, Sachen) (Unl).gbc
31-in-1 Mighty Mix (Australia) (31B-001, Sachen) (Unl).gbc
4 in 1 + 8 in 1 (World) (4B-001, 4B-009, 8B-001, Sachen) (Unl).gbc
4 in 1 + 8 in 1 (World) (4B-002, 4B-004, 8B-002, Sachen) (Unl).gbc
4 in 1 + 8 in 1 (World) (4B-005, 4B-006, 8B-003, Sachen) (Unl).gbc
4 in 1 + 8 in 1 (World) (4B-007, 4B-008, 8B-004, Sachen) (Unl).gbc
Action Replay Online (Europe) (Unl).gbc
Beast Fighter (Taiwan) (En) (1B-001, Sachen) (Unl).gbc
GameShark Online (USA) (Unl).gbc
Jurassic Boy 2 (World) (Rev 1) (Sachen) (No Copyright) (Unl).gbc
Jurassic Boy II + Thunder Blast Man (World) (1B-002, 1B-003, Sachen) (Unl).gbc
Rocman X Gold + 4 in 1 (Taiwan) (1B-002, 4B-003, Sachen) (Unl).gbc
Super 16 in 1 (Taiwan) (En) (Sachen) (Unl).gbc
Super 6 in 1 (Taiwan) (En,Zh) (6B-001, Sachen) (Unl).gbc
Thunder Blast Man (Europe) (1B-003, Sachen) (Unl).gbc
[BIOS] Nintendo Game Boy Color Boot ROM (World).gbc
BTW: Those two games have the SGB bit set but there's no tag in the title:
Daikatana (USA) (Proto) (2000-04-19).gbc
Mary-Kate and Ashley - Pocket Planner (USA, Europe).gbc
KingMike

Post by KingMike »

Should the BIOS ROM even be tagged since it's not a cartridge ROM?
Densetsu
Datter

Post by Densetsu »

Well, as we agreed to introduce a "GB-compatible" tag and I highly doubt that's the case for the GBC BIOS, it wouldn't get a tag anyway I guess.
TheShadowRunner

Thanks for the full lists and sharing your findings Densetsu.
I propose we only test list A) because theorically there's zero chance for games in list B) (CGB-only games) to be retro-compatible and therefore bear the "GB Compatible" tag.

I also think we should split list A) in groups to make verification faster (and less boring ^^).
I counted 505 games in this list, maybe we can split by 5, so we need 5 testers to test 101 games each?
Who's willing to test 101 games in that list for GB compatibility (I'm in of course)?
http://txt.do/d1iqt

Here's the breakdown I propose (inclusive):
Set 1: "4x4 World Trophy (Europe) (En,Fr,De,Es,It).gbc" to "Dropzone (Europe).gbc"
Set 2: "Dungeon Savior (Japan) (SGB Enhanced).gbc" to "Kawaii Pet Shop Monogatari (Japan) (SGB Enhanced).gbc"
Set 3: "Kawaii Pet Shop Monogatari 2 (Japan) (Rev 1).gbc" to "Nakayoshi Pet Series 2 - Kawaii Usagi (Japan).gbc"
Set 4: "New Adventures of Mary-Kate & Ashley, The (USA, Europe).gbc" to "SD Hiryuu no Ken EX (Japan) (SGB Enhanced).gbc"
Set 5: "Sakata Gorou Kudan no Renju Kyoushitsu (Japan) (SGB Enhanced).gbc" to "Zoids - Jashin Fukkatsu! Genobreaker Hen (Japan) (SGB Enhanced).gbc"

For list C), I'm unsure what needs to be done, them being all unlicensed (except the BIOS which is excluded of course for this tag).
But I guess we could test them for the "GB Compatible" tag as well.

Regarding the 2 oddities with SGB bit but no tags:
I can confirm they are NOT SGB enhanced, so shouldn't bear the SGB tag.
"Mary-Kate and Ashley - Pocket Planner (USA, Europe).gbc" is "GB Compatible" though.
As for "Daikatana (USA) (Proto) (2000-04-19).gbc" it's CGB-only and therefore should be kept as-is without tags.
Densetsu
Datter

Post by Densetsu »

Okay, provided that 0x80 is the standard value at 0x143 (meaning GB-compatible), I also think it's improbable that a developer changed the byte to 0xC0 just for fun if it only was about a GB-compatible game.

I made one list (not because I don't trust you, TheShadowRunner, but I think it's clearer that way) with six groups as "100" is just a nice number per group. ;p

http://txt.do/d18no

The fastest guy/girl is allowed to do the "Bonus" group (last five remaining games! ;)
If someone is lazy but wants to join our little project nonetheless may take the "C" group of the list some posts above.

I'd say we start as follows:

Group I) TheShadowRunner DONE!
Group II) Densetsu (guess that's me) DONE!
Group III) Densetsu DONE!
Group IV) Densetsu DONE!
Group V) Densetsu DONE!
Group C) TheShadowRunner DONE
"Bonus") TheShadowRunner DONE!
PENDING: Some (Unl) or (Proto)/(Promo) games (including the "Sachen" releases from Group C) which couldn't be loaded with VBA

Now how is the proceeding? Using VBA (version?) set to "GB"? (menu "Options" >> "Gameboy" >> "GB")

Also thanks, TheShadowRunner, for checking for those two SGB-bit-set-but-not-tagged ROMs. ;) Did you use VBA to check or do we need higan or something else?

Edit: status/progress updated.
Last edited by Densetsu on 16 Mar 2017 20:23, edited 7 times in total.
TheShadowRunner

Densetsu wrote:I made one list (not because I don't trust you, TheShadowRunner, but I think it's clearer that way) with six groups as "100" is just a nice number per group. ;p
Haha sure, if you prefer 8-)
I'd say we start as follows:

Group I) TheShadowRunner
Group II) Densetsu (guess that's me)
Group III) ??
Group IV) ??
Group V) ??
Group C) ??
Alright, I'm doing Group I. I'll report if everything is "GB Compatible" or which rom is weird / out of specs.
Now how is the proceeding? Using VBA (version?) set to "GB"? (menu "Options" >> "Gameboy" >> "GB")
Yes, I'm using VisualBoyAdvanceM878 with "Gameboy" set to "GB" (GB core).
(I used it as well for the 2 weird SGB-bit roms, "Options" > "Gameboy" > "Border Automatic")
Higan won't run here (XP 32bit), but I suppose it'd work equally fine.

-----------
Alright that was fast ;)
(pro-tip, set "Options" > "Speed" > "Throttle" > "200%" in VBA-M)
So out of Group 1, ALL the roms are "GB Compatible", except:

- Card Sharks (USA) (Proto).gbc
- Daikatana (USA) (Proto) (2000-04-19).gbc

I also did the Bonus group (the Zelda and Zoids roms), and they're all "GB Compatible" as well.
Last edited by TheShadowRunner on 14 Mar 2017 01:28, edited 1 time in total.
Tauwasser
Datter

Post by Tauwasser »

As far as the unlicensed Sachen games go, the header is actually encrypted, so you got false negatives. A few of them are backwards compatible, a few are mono only.
TheShadowRunner

Ok, I'm done with group C (the unlicensed roms).
Tested on real hardware, EDGB + GameBoy Pocket, since VBA-M crashed on all of them.
And NONE of them load either (they don't even get past a scrambled Nintendo logo), so no tag needed.

Only Groups II, III, IV & V left!