Only one DAT has Enhanced Roms?

General No-Intro related discussions.
hydr0x
Dumper

Re: Only one DAT has Enhanced Roms?

Post by hydr0x »

Densetsu wrote:
hydr0x wrote:Yeah, I'm sorry, but this whole discussion is nonsense.
Not at all! Multiple "approaches" have been suggested. Fact is, tagging is not accurate at the moment. Why wouldn't you want to differentiate between CGB-exclusive and DMG-compatible GBC games?
The two matters are completely unrelated. No-Intro DATs track games per marketed system, nothing else. Anything else has to be tracked by tag (or not at all, we don't track a lot of other things either, like GBC games with GBA enhancements). You're looking at this purely from a ROM collector perspective. No-Intro is about cataloging system libraries, not about ROM collecting.
TheShadowRunner

Post by TheShadowRunner »

hydr0x wrote:The two matters are completely unrelated. No-Intro DATs track games per marketed system, nothing else. Anything else has to be tracked by tag (or not at all, we don't track a lot of other things either, like GBC games with GBA enhancements). You're looking at this purely from a ROM collector perspective. No-Intro is about cataloging system libraries, not about ROM collecting.
Well, if SGB-enhanced is a thing, clearly CGB-enhanced should be a thing as well (or GB-retrocompatible as you seem to prefer that).
As it is now, it's inconsistent.
Besides what's wrong with a more precise catalog?
Densetsu
Datter

Post by Densetsu »

@hydr0x

I can't really follow your logic. It's all about differentiating regarding enhanced/backwards compatible games. I don't see two matters. Why is "SGB enhanced" more important than "GB/DMG compatible"?
We don't talk about different games, we talk about the same games with more detailed tagging... What does that have to do with collecting?
And if you speak about "system libraries", I'd say that a game for a newer system that is compatible with an older system falls into that categorization?

BTW: I didn't even know that there is a thing like GBA enhanced GBC games. ;) So those GBC games have special features when played on a GBA?
KingMike

Post by KingMike »

They aren't really "enhanced" as much as used to unlock content (since from what I read, on a GBA, the GBC and GBA hardware are separate and only one can function at a time).
The Zelda Oracle games have a certain Ring that is only available for purchase when playing on a GBA (I don't know if it actually does anything, or if it was just to show off that you had the newest portable).
I think one of the WayForward games (Shantae?) claimed to have an extra level or something.

Supposedly other games used it to load alternate palettes on GBA (though I don't know how many games, as I don't think there were a whole lot of GBC games made after the GBA launched).
Densetsu
Datter

Post by Densetsu »

Thanks KingMike for explaining!

Returning to the "actual" topic:
Well, it seems there is not much interest in tagging DMG-compatible GBC games, so I think I'll start a "private project".
If someone is interested in supporting, please let me know and we can discuss details via PM.
TheShadowRunner

Densetsu wrote:Thanks KingMike for explaining!

Returning to the "actual" topic:
Well, it seems there is not much interest in tagging DMG-compatible GBC games, so I think I'll start a "private project".
If someone is interested in supporting, please let me know and we can discuss details via PM.
I'm definitely for a proper tagging of DMG-compatible games, but I don't think this should be going private.
The consensus should be global and action taken in plain view with everyone agreeing, I believe.
And then it should be implemented in the GBC DAT.
Let's keep this simple 8-)
- Is everyone OK with adding a tag to GBC games that are currently in the GBC DAT, to indicate they are backwards compatible with DMG ?
If someone is against, please state why. Otherwise let's implement this in a timely fashion.
Hiccup
Datter

Post by Hiccup »

Tag them or indicate some other way in the dat/DoM
Densetsu
Datter

Post by Densetsu »

Of course, I would prefer an official solution but I haven't been under the impression that the majority of datters/staff/people in charge would care enough so far. :p

Okay then, I'm either for introducing a "DMG Compatible" or "GB Compatible" tag for GBC games that are playable on the Classic GB.
TheShadowRunner

Densetsu wrote:Of course, I would prefer an official solution but I haven't been under the impression that the majority of datters/staff/people in charge would care enough so far. :p

Okay then, I'm either for introducing a "DMG Compatible" or "GB Compatible" tag for GBC games that are playable on the Classic GB.
I'm all for "GB Compatible", it's clear enough and hydr0x seems ok with it 8-)
Any more thoughts on the subject C. V. Reynolds, KingMike, Tauwasser?
C. V. Reynolds
Datter

Post by C. V. Reynolds »

Sorry for being away so long. :3

I like "GB Compatible". It's the least awkward by far and properly conveys the info we need.
hking0036
Datter

Post by hking0036 »

For what it's worth I'm in on the GB compatible tag. It was included on the back of the box as "Compatible with", and SGB enhanced games are already tagged so I think it's worthwhile.
xuom2
High Council

Post by xuom2 »

I would like to read BigFred's position too about this. :ninja:
BigFred
High Council

Post by BigFred »

I'm fine with "GB compatible" though I usually prefer shorter tags. For instance just DMG and CGB as in the serials but I will go with the majority here. I really think it is a good idea to implement this since these games are actually different sets. We could also offer an option for seperated dats in DoM if someone prefers this solution. So you'd have GB only, GBC only and Hybrid games.
xuom2
High Council

Post by xuom2 »

yep, people should already able to filter datfile content by tags.
if a datter is reading this, please implement this tag ;)
TheShadowRunner

xuom2 wrote:yep, people should already able to filter datfile content by tags.
if a datter is reading this, please implement this tag ;)
This is going somewhere, great! 8-)
So it's a matter of adding the "GB Compatible" tag to the following games in the GBC DAT?
viewtopic.php?p=16656#p16656
Densetsu, are you sure about your script/list?